Handbrake rips Pixelated

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jigga Beef, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Jigga Beef macrumors regular

I have been trying to rip the first season of Lost. I am using the appletv presets. Everytime I try and rip an episode the file comes out all pixelated. some parts of the file there are green bars though the video, some parts of the file every inch is taken up by a distorted image, while sometimes the entire screen is taken up by boxes. I tried to check 2-pass encoding but it does not let me check it with the AppleTV presets.

Also the one episode is 1.63 Gigs, I am pretty sure i unchecked large file sizes, but what is a good target file size if i am planning to watch this on a 40 inch TV, and on my iPod touch.

2. theweber3 macrumors member

theweber3

hmm....
    have you tried the universal setting?

3. Jigga Beef thread starter macrumors regular

I realized its because the Lost DVD has some kind of encryption or something. I ripped it with Mac the ripper and then used handbrake from the video_TS file.

4. Waragainstsleep macrumors regular

If you want to play the file on a 40" TV using an AppleTV, then the AppleTV settings are what you want. If you want to play it on an iPod Touch, use the iPhone/iPod Touch Setting.

Essentially they play the same types of files, but the ATV has a higher maximum resolution and can decode higher bitrates than the Touch. It shouldn't matter all that much either way from standard def DVDs though. Both devices play 640x480.