Handbrake rocks my world...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ScottFitz, Dec 11, 2007.

1. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

Gosh, what a nice piece of software if you have an iPod Touch. Rip those DVD's you own and put them into iTunes. Sure it takes a while to rip, but very much worth it.

I have a lot of concert DVD's that I never really get to just sit down and watch on TV. But, ripping them and putting them onto my ipod is sweet. I can now relive Clapton's Crossroads Festival on my next flight to the left coast.

With only 16gb of space, you have to decide which movies or TV shows you want to put on there. But, such is the only drawback of this wonderfully engineered product.

2. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

iPod touch is indeed absolutely great for concert/music videos. I'd like to find a way to transfer the chapter titles of the videos to the Touch as well. They show up inside iTunes but not on the iPod touch. That would make the iPod touch even more precious. :)

3. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

yeah, I got it in preparation for my iPT, can't wait to put those babies on there...

and for anyone who does not have this great software...
    http://handbrake.m0k.org

you must have it

4. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Thanks for pointing out something really obvious, but if you've just discovered it, congrats. Perhaps this didn't need it's own thread though...

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

6. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Does it save the chapters when you rip? I have a couple of music DVDs that'd be pretty sweet on a touch, but I'd like the ability to skip to a certain track. I notice there is an option for chapter marks but do they translate onto the touch or is it just for itunes.

Sorry for hijacking the thread :)

7. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

The chapter marks appear on the iPod touch as well, but only as "chapter 1", etc., not with the name of the chapter which can be entered by hand in Handbrake.

8. dombookpro macrumors member

"can itunes handle avi's?"

I use iSquint freeware to convert AVIs to MP4s for iPhone use (same as iPod touch)

9. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

You can also use VisualHub to convert from AVI. Its basically iSquint's big brother.

10. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

ok, i hear EVERYONE using this, but when i try to use it EVERY SINGLE time it says something about copyright or protected and it will not let me rip anything:mad:

11. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Even so, it's a nice change from all the complaining threads. Plus, you didn't have to read it.

12. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Strange. Never happend to me. Are you sure you're using the newest version?

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

thanks. just a pain to convert. wish it could handle it straight up

14. ScottFitz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why do you feel the need to pee in my cornflakes? There are a lot of new members that show up each day. There are many new iPod Touch owners every day, especially with Christmas coming up in 2 weeks.

Handbrake is new to me and I felt the need to share the joy. What a great way to maximize your iPod Touch!

Cheers Scrooge!!!

15. touchher macrumors regular

ya that happens for me too on a pc...
    if you first use anydvd, it will take of the seal and put the file one your computer... then you can select the file anydvd creates (video_ts) on handbrake to convert it to the correct format.

here is a free 28 day trial download for anydvd:
    http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

16. goldypoker macrumors member

Even better, with AnyDVD, you don't even have to rip the file to your harddrive first, it will encode directly from the DVD! (big time saver....)

17. asmallchild macrumors regular

I'd have to agree. Of course this deserves its own thread. New members are joining daily and it would be nice to realize this tool is out there instead of having to search for it.

I uploaded my entire DVD collection of Entourage to my iPod Touch in preparation for a 12 hour plane ride. Oh yea. :)

18. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

So what resolution settings are everyone using for the Touch? 320x240? or 640x480?

19. dooyou macrumors regular

640x480

20. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Get a copy of MacTheRipper, rip to your harddrive, and then use handbrake on the video_TS folder. Best part is, its all free :)

http://www.mactheripper.org/

21. ScottFitz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess I'm a noob. I just use the ipodtouch/iphone setting and take what it gives me. Perfect. (I think it's the 320x240)

22. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

I use 704x304. That way I'm different, and I can watch it on my computer too :)

23. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Big fan of Handbrake. I've used it to move many of my own movies to the iPod (despite the MPAA's problem with me watching my own, paid-for movies on any device I wish).
    I generally use the 640 x 480 setting, make sure the file size does not exceed 700-704mb, and use 2-pass encoding for a supposedly better picture. Usually, my Dual G5 has that task at night. :D