Handbrake settings for HD youTube?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gianthobbit, Feb 24, 2012.

1. gianthobbit macrumors 6502

Is there a good preset to use or what settings do I need to change to convert a DVD to a HD youTube video with no black boxes?

Every setting I try has black boxes.

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

Why do you want to upsize a Standard Definition video DVD video to HD? That will only lead to visual quality loss?

3. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

I was given some files from a guy I hired to do some video work. He gave me the files as a DVD (as in a playable DVD). Did this strip out all the HD quality?

I know he shot it on a HD camera... He does not seem to be the most experienced unfortunately.

4. simsaladimbamba

If those files he gave you are inside a VIDEO_TS folder and have .vob as suffix (plus some .ifo and .bup files) and it plays back in Mac OS X' DVD Player, then yes, those files are now in Standard Definition (SD) and only a quarter of its original resolution (if the source was 1080p/i).

You should get the original HD files of the finished sequence in at least the format he edited in (depending on the application he used) and a compressed .mov or .mp4 file using the H.264 or x.264 codec.

May I know, how much you know, about video editing and all the formats involved in editing and distribution, just so we are on the same level?
    And is that guy a professional video editor / camera man or something else?

5. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks so much for this information. They are indeed in that format so there not HD...

I have a very basic knoledge of video editing. I do understand file formats, aspect ratio etc however.

This is a professional photographer who is getting started in the video world. Clearly he needs some help.

Thanks again!

6. simsaladimbamba

If you need any more help, just shout here or send me a PM, if it is about editing applications and their specific output settings and such.
    And you can refer the photographer always to this, guide from Google/YouTube, on what settings to choose to export for YouTube. I used them, and they turned out fine for my little (slow moving though) YouTube video (see my sig).