Handbrake settings for iPad3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NestOfRobins, Apr 17, 2012.

1. NestOfRobins macrumors member

What are the best settings for converting movies from, e.g., MKV, to formats capable of being played on the new iPad?

How do we enter those settings?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I think some dudes just use the Appe TV preset, and then just bump the resolution from 720 to 1080 on Picture Settings.

3. amro macrumors 6502

Search is your friend. For me, however, I've stuck with the AppleTV2 or iPad settings as the difference (for me) is hard to tell yet the file size is bigger. Not worth the loss of space for the slightly better quality you may get.

4. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I can highly recommend iVI, which uses the same encoding tools as Handbrake, but is more user friendly. I don't remember if it's free, but it certainly didn't cost much.

5. wwallace55 macrumors newbie

there are other ways

You can avoid using handbrake. MKV can be played off the new Ipad using the "AVPlayerHD" app. If you want to stream from a computer you can use the "Air Video" app.

6. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

Problem with playing non-QuickTime formats such as MKV is that they don't benefit from hardware (GPU) acceleration. No current app I'm aware of at this moment circumvents this limitation.

This may not be a big deal depending on how you encode the movie but just thought I'd put it out there.