Handbrake Settings for iPhone...Tried 700kbs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sjjordan, Oct 6, 2008.

1. sjjordan macrumors 6502

I'm heading overseas later this week and want to load my 8GB iphone up with THE SHIELD Season 6, but am worried I won't have enough space. Has anyone tried the "iPod Low-Rez" 700kbps frame rate on the iphone?

I'm borrowing the discs from a friend and don't have them yet to try this myself, hence the posted question.

2. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha sjjordan,

You probably won't be able to fit all of one season on even a 16GB iPhone, so I wouldn't worry about the frame rate per se. It all depends on the video quality you wish to achieve. Handbrake has the iPod/iPhone setting, so I would suggest you just use that. IIRC, the default frame rate for that setting is 960 fps, but I've used up to 1250 fps and achieved great results, albeit a large file as a result.

HawaiiMacAddict

3. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

I use iSquint on the default settings, it takes a 350~meg avi to about a 97meg mp4
    Looks fine on the iPhone IMHO.

I can have a full 13 episode season of tv show on my iPhone for about 1.2gig :D

4. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

I've always had one major issue with video for the iPhone. It takes about twice as long to rip/encode the video than it does to just watch it, and iTunes is such so prissy when it comes to video formats. DivX? no. xVid? no. H.264? Ok yeah, let's spend 2 hours encoding a 45 minute show! Then let's sync it to our 3" screen iPhone for 20 more minutes.

Fail.

5. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

huh?
    (45~min TV show) Takes about 6 mins. for an avi to mp4 using iSquint
    IF i chose H.264 make it about 15~ also using iSquint.

Syncing isn't bad ~100 megs a file maybe a few minutes to sync but not 20

6. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

7. samiwas macrumors 65816

I think you got your terms mixed up. It's not the frame rates of 960 or 1250 fps (frames per second), but the bitrate. 1250 fps would be an absolutely massive file, many gigabytes, and would serve absolutely no purpose.

8. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

Using handbrake I use their iPhone option.
    Does anyone know if that format will work for AppleTV or vice versa? I plan on getting an appletv and don't want to recode everything.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You've got to have some settings wrong or be using a PPC Mac. On a MB I use MactheRipper > Handbrake using the iPhone setting and it only takes about 2.5 hours for a full quality H264 (same quality as watching a commercial digital file, ie. Nightmare Before Christmas Special Edition DVD came with a digital file). 125kbps average, 850MB file average out of 3 movies. The only thing that differs is the self encoded files are 480 x aspect ratio of film instead of the commercial file being 640x400.