Handbrake settings for more than one platform?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by S1njin, Sep 15, 2011.

1. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Hey Gang,

About to jump into this foray and convert my DVDs in order to take advantage of all the tech in my house.

I'd like to view my converted movies on:

A. Apple TV
    B. iPad

I really don't want to have two separate versions. I understand that in Handbrake there is a Apple TV preset and a iPad preset. Is there something that pumps out great quality for both? Or is this just a remarkably foolish question?

Also, I was going to do the handbraking on my Mac (where else right?), but I had a epiphany. I should probably get the Windows version and rip everything on my gaming rig:

Rig
    i5-2500k - OC'd to 4.5 Ghz | ASUS P8P67 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 | EVGA GTX 570 oc | 2x WD Caviar Black 640GB HDs w/ 64mb Cache (non Raid) | ASUS Xonar DG PCI | Corsair HX850 | Intel Pro 10/100/1000 PCI-E NIC | CoolerMaster Hyper N520 | CoolerMaster HAF-922

I'm going to assume this is going to speed things up considerably over my 2 year old Mac Mini (the last one w/ the 'old' design). Core 2 Duo w/ 4GB of RAM. The only pain would be getting the resulting file back on my Mac, but short of doing the whole SMB thing I have a handy 64GB Flash Drive that will do the job.

Thanks in advance !

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

"Universal."

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/BuiltInPresets

3. S1njin thread starter macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Is there a Apple Universal or just Universal in general? Sorry I don't have the software in front of me and I can't grab it at work (proxy issues).

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

There's an "Apple" header on the preset tab and "Universal" is within the Apple header. Realistically, you can use Apple TV and it will work just as well.

5. S1njin thread starter macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Thanks much.

6. mpick92 macrumors newbie

I have been using the "iPod Legacy" preset for 3+ years now (didn't always have the Apple TV preset), with over 150 movies. The video looks pretty good on the Apple TV and iPad, as well as iPhone, but when playing directly from computer it can look so-so. Average file size is around 1.5gb per movie.