Handbrake settings opinions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jeremy6044, Dec 1, 2007.

1. jeremy6044 macrumors regular

What are your optimal handbrake settings and do they change for specific films? I just started ripping my DVD collection, and it seems like Handbrake calculates every one to be anamorphic...seemed okay for animation (nightmare before christmas), when harry met sally, but i did office space and everything seemed a little distorted.

so should aspect ratio be maintained instead? intuition says yes and that everything should stay 720x480, especially since that's what my tv is, but i didn't think i should second guess the program's judgment.

let me know if you have optimal settings overall, or for different films, or if i'm doing something wrong.

Thanks!

2. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

Yeah definitely keep aspect ratio the same. It will keep fullscreen movies (probably your when harry met sally and nightmare dvds) fullscreen, and keep widescreen movies (probably your office space dvd) widescreen.

As for your first question, I am still tinkering around with settings so I'd be curious to see what other people say, although settings shouldn't need to change for different movies. Also it depends on where you want to watch the ripped movies. On your computer? apple tv? iPhone? iPod? something else?