handBrake settings question?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Aniej, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I am putting a portion of my dvd collection on to an external hard drive and am using HandBrake to do so. I was wondering if this application automatically saves the file at the highest quality level possible or it needs to be set at a different level? And, if it does need to be set at a different higher level, what would be a good setting for viewing on a 52'' HDTV?

Thanks

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you have to change it, handbrake kinda does it in the middle.(the bit rate neways)

for a tv of that size id go with the biggest resolution u can, which is normally like 720x496(depends on the dvd) and a bit rate of either 1536 or 2048. or somewhere in between those. for audio id convert at over 160.

also if u can wait do a double encode/pass. helps out a lot with the quality

3. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

awesome suggestions. Some I figured out by playing around and by selecting apple tv as an option, I upped it to 160 for audio as well. Thanks for the help.

I was looking at 2-pass encoding and inferred by its not being checked that it was an option that I could select and some benefit would happen in terms or quality, but can you or someone that sees this explain what it really does technologically speaking?

4. rspeaker macrumors 6502

Make sure you look at the files afterward, to make sure they look fine.

I ripped a movie not so long ago, avg bitrate 2000, 2-pass encode, deinterlace... and it looks awesome.

However, I've been trying to rip Frasier, I've tried a dozen settings (including presets,) and everyone has looked like junk.

Just make sure you check the files before calling it good.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

(taken from http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/615159.html)
    What is 2-pass encoding, and is there anything I can do to improve the quality besides simply increasing the bitrate?

Two pass encoding should greatly enhance the results - however as the video file is processed twice (first time normally, the second time with a fine-tooth-comb) the encoding time will almost double. However generally it is worth it.

its really quite a good ad on, if u really want to improve and hav amazing quality and have a fairly good machine u mayaswell do it.. movies could take at least 4 hours tho