Handbrake Settings

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Codeseven, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

I'm using Handbrake to convert Youtube videos for viewing on VLC. There are several setting I could mess with on Handbrake but I really don't know what they all do. Is anybody familiar with Handbrake and what I should adjust the settings to? Thanks

2. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually, I should have asked which settings in Handbrake would improve or maintain the quality of the downloaded video. I found some info on the net about clicking on High Profile, ticking Large File Size and moving the Constant Quality slider to 100%. It made a huge difference from the default settings I was using.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You don't need to convert to play with VLC. VLC plays just about anything, and Youtube movies are .flv, which play fine with VLC or MPEGStreamclip. Also, if you install Perian, they will play with Quicktime as well.

4. huntercr macrumors 65816

Another alternative is to get ClickToFlash which is a flash blocker, but also has the side effect of allowing you to right click and select "download as H.264" for almost every youtube video.

5. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys. As you can see I am a total noob at DV so I'm really talking out my arse on this stuff. My goal is simply to download videos, mainly from Youtube, and use VLC because it can slow down the video (I'm learning how to drum).

I'm really just learning about this stuff (DV) so I'm just trying to figure out if a downloaded video can be improved apon, especially since I like to be able to watch the video in full screen and in slow motion. I don't know if anything can be done by the method it's downloaded or by using some application such as Handbrake afterwards.

Currently I'm just going the route of double clicking on Activity while the video is playing in Safari to download it then just playing it on VLC. Seems ok but if there's a way to improve on it then I'll try it. Thanks for all your help (and patience).