Handbrake slow and dark

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by taylorwilsdon, Jun 10, 2008.

1. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I haven't ripped a movie in a while but this one did not go well.

I used the preset for "Normal" and ripped Donnie Darko. Not only did it take 2+ (maybe 3+?) hours for the rip+encode, the resulting file is unwatchable because its so dark. I've ripped most of my movie collection over the years and they never looked this crappy.

Couple questions - how can I avoid the darkness? There were no settings to set... and how can I get reasonable ripping speed? When I used to rip movies with my HTPC, it took like 20 minutes and this was several years ago.

2. II Sk3ptical II macrumors newbie

If you ripped a dvd in 20 minutes, you ripped it as a disk image, not .mp4.

3. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I'm well aware of the difference between ripping and encoding. With handbrake, the rip (just the folders off the DVD) takes like an hour and the encoding takes 1 to 2 more.

This isn't a slow computer at all... I'm not sure what the issue is. My home theater pc had an intel quad core back when they were new and its a beast when it comes down to business, but the difference shouldn't be this great.

How long does it take you to rip and encode?

4. II Sk3ptical II macrumors newbie

What bitrate are you ripping at?

It usually takes me around 2-2.5 hours to rip a movie at 2200kbps in .mp4 format.