Handbrake sources question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by soccersquirt82, Mar 25, 2008.

1. soccersquirt82 macrumors 6502

There are some videos I wish to convert to go onto my iPod using Handbrake, but they're on my hard drive. I've converted many movies from a DVD, but is there any way to convert from a different source? When I try, it says, "invalid source."

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Handbrake is for ripping DVDs (or stored VIDEO_TS folders). It doesn't do file-based conversion. For that you'd want something like iSquint or VisualHub.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Also ffmpeg would do it. Also, most video (not xvid or divx or M$) can play in iTunes, which can then convert it to iPod formats easily.

TEG

4. soccersquirt82 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!! I didn't want to convert them in iTunes because it takes forever and usually gets stuck.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I usually only use iTunes, saves time and a step and guarentees that the file will work, unlike using presets in other programs.

TEG

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

As a point of interest, given that the profiles supported by the iPod and iPhone are well-understood, I have never had any problem with a file converted using the presets found in iSquint, Handbrake, or other programs of their ilk.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I have only gotten the Handbrake and Toast to convert things correctly on my own system. Any time I get someone else to do the conversions in Handbrake, I have to reconvert them in iTunes to get them to work on my iPhone, even if they use the iPod/iPhone preset.

TEG