Handbrake speed issue with MP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Redneck1089, May 9, 2007.

1. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I'm a little unimpressed by my new quad mac pro 3 Ghz. I'm ripping Pretty in Pink right now and I am only getting about 90 FPS. I've read posts by other forum members getting way over 100 FPS using their quad Power Macs and Mac Pros.

The highest I have seen my computer get up to is around 100 FPS when I was ripping Spiderman 2 for my iPod. I don't get it... Are some of my settings out of whack?

Attached Files:

2. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

3. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is just a thought... take the same Pretty in Pink DVD, copy the contents to a folder on the hard disk, and then handbrake it from the folder. How does the speed compare to what you're getting now? This will tell you to what extent DVD read speeds are a limiting factor. Read speeds can vary from disc to disc based on warping, balance, etc.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Seconded, also take a look at your activity monitor to check that it is using all of your cores because when i first installed the latest version it was only using 1 of my cores until i delete the preference and reinstalled.

Side Note: Those quads are really impressive as with similar settings i get 30 fps on my iMac

6. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I will try copying the DVD to a file on my desktop.

Right now I'm ripping Spiderman 2 again...and Activity Monitor says handbrake is only using between 95-105% of the CPU. What preferences do I need to change/delete to get it to take advantage of the other cores? I thought Handbrake only supported up to two cores right now anyways... :confused: :confused:

Thanks for your help.

7. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

Some tips to speed up Handbrake (I can get about 300% CPU usage on my Mac Pro using the latest builds):

- Rip the disc using MacTheRipper (full disc mode), and then use Handbrake on that. Reading from a Hard Drive is much faster than reading from the DVD.

- If possible, rip multiple discs, make copies of your Handbrake app, and run them all at the same time on different discs. It will get more CPU usage out of it (and I can max out my CPU doing this).

- Don't be doing heavy work at the same time as it rips. Handbrake is set so that pretty much every application gets priority over Handbrake. So if you have a video rendering in the background from Final Cut or something intensive like that, Handbrake's performance could suffer.

- Get lots of RAM if you haven't already. You should have at least 2GB in your system if you want to run two copies of Handbrake at full speed, IMO.

- Try using Handbrake so that your source DVD was ripped to one drive, and the output MP4 is written to a different drive. It will cut down seek times a bit.

8. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

My Handbrake is using no more than 110% of the processors. I only have a GB of ram, but plan on adding an additional four in the next month or two.

Wouldn't ripping the movie to the HDD using Mac The Ripper and then encoding with handbrake take long in the end than just using handbrake...even if it's running more slowly than it should?

I'll try the multiple copies of Handbrake. Thanks! :)

9. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089