Handbrake - Starting Again - Advice

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by HelixOmnimedia, Oct 21, 2014.

1. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Good Afternoon

Soon I'll find out if my 4tb extra-hdd if compete unrepairable, and I have been using Handbrake for years and years. I'm mainly stuck the presets along the way. Most recently using the AppleTV3 preset and changing the size of the picture output to match what being output from the disc.

Things seem to be fine, good file size, pic ok on 42"HD TV, MacBook Pro, iPad Air and iPhone 6.
    What I would say is, I seem to turn the volume up but its strange it doesn't seem to get any louder on some TV programs or movies. Is that something handbrake has done?

But if I need to start my collection again, any advice. Any better settings I could use?
    (Don't say back up, I've not learned my lesson).

2. cycledance Suspended

is the volume issue the same for all devices?
    usually tvs get louder from 0-50 than from 50-100.

maybe your amp is weak.

3. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

Encoding consistency is the main reason I switched to buying movies on iTunes.

Despite hours of experimentation I have never been able to get past the reality that sometimes the default encoding settings CAN occasionally give horrible audio levels.

If you end up spending an hour or two messing with the encoding not including the actual encoding time you will probably find yourself at a wash of effort between the time it would be to work and the time it would be to encode.

Disk encoding is far far FAR from perfect. Handbrake is one of the best tools out there, but it's still a pain to do the final troubleshooting.

At the same time though since I've started purchasing things directly from Apple, I am spending between $10-20 per movie that work consistently every time. But I've also bought close to 150 movies.