Handbrake still working for anyone?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gavroche, Nov 7, 2017.

1. gavroche macrumors 65816

gavroche

I haven't used handbrake in a very long time. We are about to go on a road trip so i thought i'd make a copy of several movies we own to entertain the kiddos... and tried making a copy but the result was all garbled video. I downloaded the newest version (1.0.7), and now it won't even make it all the way through the encode (and its so much slower than it was back in the day). Is there anything i'm not getting...?

2. MSastre macrumors 6502a

MSastre

I use MDRP. Easy to use, does an excellent job of reducing file sizes, and has a 6 instance free trial. It will also make full back up copies if you like.

3. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I think you are running into issues not with handbrake, but with the dvd/bluray encryption on the disc itself.

I use a 2 step process, makemkv app to decrypt the movie into a file, then handbrake to change the file into something apple compatible.

4. wonderspark macrumors 68040

wonderspark

I use Handbrake only on DVDs, and the two-step above with Blu-ray discs.

5. RobinInOR macrumors 6502a

RobinInOR

On Sierra and up you have to install libdvdcss

I needed Homebrew for some other installs so I did it this way - there are other ways I’m sure. Just bring up terminal and enter these 2 commands. Doesnt take too long

Install Homebrew
    I installed homebrew to make modifications to allow Handbrake to work - I needed to install libdvdcss.

/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"

HandBrake fix
    brew install libdvdcss

6. Boyd01 Moderator

Boyd01

Staff Member

Have been using Handbrake continuously for about 4 years, still seems to work fine for me. I initially installed it on my 2013 MacBook Air under Mountain Lion and downloaded libdvdcss at that time. Upgraded to Sierra last summer, not sure if I have ripped any commerical DVD's since then but I think I have. Currently running Handbrake 1.0.7

Also have it on my 2012 quad mini which has a clean install of Sierra and it works fine. I use it frequently to process video that I shoot and edit myself (seems faster than Apple Compressor and makes smaller files). Did not install libdvdcss on that machine and don't think I've ripped any commercial DVD's on it.

So Handbrake itself certainly works. Don't think I've ever seen it crash. And it is really fast on newer hardware - I was in the middle of ripping about 1200 DVD's when I upgraded from a 2008 15" MBP with a 2.4ghz core2duo CPU. It took about 75 minutes to rip a one hour black and white TV show on that machine. My 2013 i7 MacBook Air did the same thing in about 20 minutes. :)

7. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a

Why no one read the message that says that HandBrake doesn't handle copy protection. Right now it's displayed only one time. If things go on like this I will make it appear every time…

8. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Hahaha. People don't read messages from software until the application doesn't do something they expect it to do.

The problem isn't the software. It's people :)