Handbrake subtitle assistance

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Redbeastmage, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Redbeastmage macrumors member

Hey all, I'm hoping I can find someone with some experience in getting subtitles into mp4 files from MKV or OGM using handbreak.

When I watch the video's (from either format) in VLC, I can choose between no subtitles, partial (translations of written things), and full (audio and visual translation). I'm trying to get the subtitles to come up in the converted file, but it seems when I go to the subtitle options, the only option that comes up is 'foreign audio search' which doesn't seem to do anything.

Any one have any suggestions?

2. melinator95 macrumors newbie

I've been using handbrake for a while and I think I have a solution.
    You can use HB to put external .srt files into your movies (under the subtitles option next to audio)
    Just download a subtitle file and add it to the movie and voilà, this is also compatible with iTunes (so also iPhone and stuff like that).

However, there is the problem that HB can't adjust the time of the subtitles (e.g. the movie is 2 secs ahead of the subs). I hope someone else can answer this. (Submerge won't do, the quality is too low, or it takes waaaay to long to encode)