Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elfy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm converting my DVD collection for Apple TV at the moment. A one and a half/two hour movie was typically coming out at around 1GB or maybe slightly more on average using the Apple TV 3 preset with the constant quality setting adjusted slightly to 21. Suddenly I'm struggling to get them under 2.5GB

Could it just be certain films or is there a setting I might have accidentally changed and saved in the preset?

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm wondering f you accidentally changed one of the presets. Go to this menu and delete then redownload (update) the presets. Then select your ATV preset and see if that helps.

nOKvH5P.png

elfy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm wondering f you accidentally changed one of the presets. Go to this menu and delete then redownload (update) the presets. Then select your ATV preset and see if that helps.

That's what I thought might have happened. I'll give that a go later.

----------

Not with CQ unless the duration is significantly longer.

Yeah I didn't think so. Just average length movies. Around ninety minutes or so.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Not with CQ unless the duration is significantly longer.
Incorrect. With CQ file size can vary wildly due to movie factors (e.g. grain, rapid motion, amount of dark areas, etc). CQ is basically VBR for video. When you have a CQ of 20 or more, HB will attempt to reproduce everything it detects in the movie. So if there is a lot of film grain, it will try and accurately reproduce every bit of grain, which requires a lot of data and thus larger file sizes.

elfy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Incorrect. With CQ file size can vary wildly due to movie factors (e.g. grain, rapid motion, amount of dark areas, etc). CQ is basically VBR for video. When you have a CQ of 20 or more, HB will attempt to reproduce everything it detects in the movie. So if there is a lot of film grain, it will try and accurately reproduce every bit of grain, which requires a lot of data and thus larger file sizes.

When you say '20 or more' do you mean a value of 20 or less? Am I right in thinking the lower the value, the higher the quality? Sorry, this stuff isn't really my speciality. :)

Last edited:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
When you say '20 or more' do you mean a value of 20 or less? Am I right in thinking the lower the value, the higher the quality? Sorry, this stuff isn't really my speciality. :)
You are correct. Lower value=higher quality. I did not state that accurately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.