Handbrake suddenly producing larger files

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by elfy, Jan 26, 2014.

1. elfy, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014

elfy macrumors 6502

I'm converting my DVD collection for Apple TV at the moment. A one and a half/two hour movie was typically coming out at around 1GB or maybe slightly more on average using the Apple TV 3 preset with the constant quality setting adjusted slightly to 21. Suddenly I'm struggling to get them under 2.5GB

Could it just be certain films or is there a setting I might have accidentally changed and saved in the preset?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm wondering f you accidentally changed one of the presets. Go to this menu and delete then redownload (update) the presets. Then select your ATV preset and see if that helps.

[​IMG]

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Not with CQ unless the duration is significantly longer.

4. elfy thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I thought might have happened. I'll give that a go later.

----------

Yeah I didn't think so. Just average length movies. Around ninety minutes or so.

5. mic j macrumors 68030

Incorrect. With CQ file size can vary wildly due to movie factors (e.g. grain, rapid motion, amount of dark areas, etc). CQ is basically VBR for video. When you have a CQ of 20 or more, HB will attempt to reproduce everything it detects in the movie. So if there is a lot of film grain, it will try and accurately reproduce every bit of grain, which requires a lot of data and thus larger file sizes.

6. elfy, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014

elfy thread starter macrumors 6502

When you say '20 or more' do you mean a value of 20 or less? Am I right in thinking the lower the value, the higher the quality? Sorry, this stuff isn't really my speciality. :)

7. mic j macrumors 68030

You are correct. Lower value=higher quality. I did not state that accurately.