Handbrake, Surround sound, and Quicktime

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mtfield, Jul 19, 2008.

1. mtfield macrumors 6502

I encoded a movie with the most recent version of handbrake with the Apple TV setting which gives my final file a surround sound track. I opened it with quicktime and saw on my surround sound speakers control console (Logitech's Z-5500) that it was only playing in Dolby Pro Logic II. So i opened up the properties of the movie and saw that there were two settings for sound. The one selected was for stereo and the one under it was Surround (AC3) I unchecked stereo and checked surround but then the movie's sound became incredibly digitalized and you couldn't hear anything.. the display still said PLII and it won't allow me to change it to the Dolby Digital setting it needs to be on for surround.. has anyone had this problem? My computer is connected to the speakers via an optical wire. Thanks for all your help!

2. mtfield thread starter macrumors 6502

im just going to give this a quick bump to see if any fresh eyes have an insight... thanks!

3. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

QT doesn't do 5.1 AC3 natively.

AAC 5.1 may be on the horizon

4. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

5. mtfield thread starter macrumors 6502

yes i have it installed... and i'm always confused about QT and surround sound.. i see a ton of places that say it supports surround sound and a ton that say it doesn't... can i get it with perian installed? i have it set to multi channel output...

6. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Cave Man posted a great thread about surround on an Apple. Maybe this could help. Good Luck.