Handbrake then what program?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Krispy162, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Krispy162 macrumors regular

Krispy162

I used handbrake to back up the dvd to my computer. What program do i use to compress it down to fit in a single layer dvd?

After handbrake the file size is like 7.5. What's my next step?

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Not sure I'm afraid. There is an option on the handbrake main page to set a target filesize.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If that's the size, that's the size. If you're doing a straight DVD rip, the disk was obviously dual-layer, so you'll need a dual-layer disk.

4. Krispy162 thread starter macrumors regular

Krispy162

So there's no way to compress it to single layer like you can on windows OS?

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

If you're ripping the DVD to the VIDEO_TS format and the size is too big for a single layer DVD, then you can use a program called DVD2one to "smallerize" it to fit.

If you're encoding the DVD to a MP4 format, etc... than that won't help you.

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

7. Krispy162 thread starter macrumors regular

Krispy162

What i want to do is rip a dvd to the video ts folder. When i tried Handbrake it didn't create any video ts folders but a mp4 which is probably to put on your ipod. That's not what i'm trying to do. I want to get them on dvds..

What progs do you suggest

Will toast 6 titanium do that? Or only the purchased version?

8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Moonie, you know all the tricks for video BS.:) I'll just PM you next time I have troubles. Fought like hell w. Dark Knight and then found your blurb - after loosing two nights sleep farting around on my own.:eek:

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

What I want to know is what movie is that large, and why is it that large?

10. Krispy162 thread starter macrumors regular

Krispy162

Narnia 2

11. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Wow, that's weird. My "King Kong" Directors cut is like 3 hours long, yet comes in at about 3.8 gb using the old Apple TV preset (2.5 mbps) in HB.

12. Krispy162 thread starter macrumors regular

Krispy162

I must be doing something wrong. This is my first time trying... lol

I'll have to re try. So let me ask you.....
    I use handbrake and i can use the apple tv preset but it doesnt do a video ts folder right? So then how would i burn it to a dvd? to use in a standalone?

13. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Oh, I see what you're doing. I thought you were using HB to transcode your DVD to an MPEG-4 file. You're ripping the DVD to disk. What you need next is DVD2OneX (DTOX), which can shrink the rip to fit a single layer DVD. It does so by changing the bit rate (and reducing the quality of the video).

14. Krispy162 thread starter macrumors regular

Krispy162

Okay so i can use handbrake and the apple tv setting to rip it to my computer then i can use either dvd2onex or toast 9 titanium to shrink?

Am i getting this right? Or do i need to do something that creates a Video ts instead of a mp4?

15. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

No - sorry, let me clarify:

1. Rip the DVD to your hard drive sans encryption. This can be done with MacTheRipper (and I think Fairmount, but I've not tried it). This preserves the DVD file structure and should be an exact copy of what's on the DVD, except the copy protection should be removed.

2. Use DTOX to shrink the ripped DVD to fit a single-layer DVD. DTOX has a preset for this. You can shrink the entire DVD, or just the main title. (It's been a while since I've done this.)

16. Krispy162 thread starter macrumors regular

Krispy162

okay! I'm off to work but when i get back i'll try and report my progress!

17. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Yeah, the Dark Knight stumped me for a few minutes. I'm glad I was able to help.