Handbrake to Final Cut Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by willam88, Jul 20, 2008.

1. willam88 macrumors newbie

I am trying to use Handbrake to take a DVD movie (a .mov file) and place it in Final Cut Pro and it is telling me that it is an error and it is not letting me. Is there anything I can do in Handbrake to make final cut read the file. I am trying to practice making a trailer with old movies.

2. karlsilla macrumors newbie

I did something similar awhile ago, can't remember the exact process but my lecturer recommended using mac the ripper instead...

3. CaptainSKA macrumors newbie

I've found that I need to re-encode the output of Handbrake, making sure I specify the correct frame rate (instead of using "current" to auto-select) to get Final Cut to be able to recognize the output of Handbrake. Mac the Ripper definitely helps avoid extra recompression - when it works. The build I have (3.0 R14m - current the last time I used it) will rip anything, but there's often weird glitches in the video where the picture gets blocky. This doesn't happen with Handbrake, but I have to do 2 encodes instead of one to get it to work...

4. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Do PROFESSIONALS use Handbrake or do they simply edit from the raw footage?

I've always been curious about those post-house who make movie trailers and how much footage they get from the studios to cut a trailer. Do they get the whole movie then go over with the director/whoever on what footage to use in the trailer?

For fun and learning, I've been using Handbrake to strip down some MKV into M4V and then importing them to iMovie to make my own mocked trailers but since FCPX came out, I've been using that instead. Is there a more simple solution then that?

5. msimon macrumors newbie

Video Professionals shouldn't use Handbrake. Handbrake doesn't support Pro level Quicktime codecs such as ProRes or 10 bit uncompressed. Handbrake isn't capable of exporting M4V as interlaced video. When you de-interlace video, you loose about 50% video resolution in the process. Therefore, you are getting only 50% of what your video is capable of with Handbrake.

Professionals need better tools. I use DVDxDV Pro for all of my DVD conversions. It supports true Pro level codecs and it can output interlaced video. DVDxDV Pro costs money, but my time is worth it.