Handbrake/Video Encoding Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fortapte, Jun 6, 2009.

1. fortapte macrumors newbie

Hi everybody,

I'm new to the forums so I apologize if I cross posted, or posted in the wrong forum section.

I have been using Handbrake to turn my DVDs into mp4s, and I have noticed that the volume is significantly lower than the actual DVD. I've been using Hanbrake 0.9.1 since I cannot upgrade to 0.9.3 (as my MacBook uses OSX 10.4.11 and the minimum is OSX 10.5).

I've read many comments about just turning up the volume in iTunes, etc., but I want an actual mp4 with a good volume level to begin with.

I have used MPEG Streamclip and FFMPEGX to try and create another mp4 from the original mp4 with the audio boosted. FFMPEGX will only do this when producing and .avi file, and Streamclip will create a new mp4 that is significantly larger in size (along with the usual quality loss that comes with multiple encodes).

I've been considering going from OSX 10.4.11 to Leopard anyway, since I've noticed a lot of newer video programs seem to have this minimum requirement. So I have a couple of questions I guess:

1) Does Handbrake 0.9.3 have the ability to raise the volume significantly or at all ("gain" I believe it's called), or does it only have Dynamic Range Compression (I'd like more than just DRC). I've searched but people seem to say it does, while others say it only has DRC. So I was hoping someone could clarify that with the latest version.

2) If Handbrake cannot do this, does anybody know a legit program that I could purchase (hopefully for under $50) that CAN do this (I guess VisualHub was good for this, but it is discontinued and it's open source FilmRedux doesn't work for me). I have QT Pro, but the audio gain is not enough (it only allows +6)

Ideally I would like a program that works just like Handbrake with video quality and overall file size (output), but has the ability to raise the volume like in MPEG Streamclip.

Any help or insight would be immensely appreciated!:)

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I've always had this problem with Handbrake, even in the the latest 0.9.3. I don't know why, but the volume is so much lower than on the DVD that it the movie becomes unwatchable on my plastic MacBook (speakers on these aren't loud by any means).

Don't upgrade to Leopard though. Snow Leopard is just around the corner.