Handbrake & VLC Question

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gregruns, Mar 17, 2011.

1. gregruns macrumors member

Hello,

I'm brand new at trying to get dvd's on my iPad. My question is....Do I need to have VLC and handbrake together or can I use handbrake all by itself to rip my dvd's? And if I need VLC, do I need to have it open while using handbrake? Thank you in advance!

2. Stovepiper macrumors member

You don't need VLC to rip DVDs. Just use Handbrake and select the iPad preset, it will produce a file that will play perfectly on the device.

3. gregruns thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much! Also, from what I've seen, there isn't an "iPad" selection, so should I just do "Apple TV" then?

4. Stovepiper macrumors member

I'm using Handbrake version .9.5 and it has a "Toggle Presets" button on the far right. iPad is in that list of presets. If you have to use the Apple TV preset though, I think it should work for iPad as well.

5. gregruns thread starter macrumors member

6. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

You actually do need VLC installed. The past few versions of Handbrake don't include the decoding libraries anymore. Handbrake uses the VLC libraries.

7. gregruns thread starter macrumors member

Oh ok, thanks! Which version do i dl, the 32 or 64?

8. Stovepiper macrumors member

Oh wow, I had no idea the two were linked. Thanks for the insight! I haven't updated VLC in ages, guess I should do that.

9. navt macrumors newbie

Depends on the device you are downloading to. It says on the tin.

10. whotony macrumors newbie

Does everything take forever t finish?

I'm adding a 1 and a half hour movie and its taking nearly 3.5 hours in iPad mode.

11. navt macrumors newbie

Normal preset works fine for iPad and is quicker.

12. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Length doesn't tell us much. File size is the key factor. It also depends on how current you computer's cpu is.