Handbrake/VLC Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Josh396, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I'm in the process of putting some DVDs into my iTunes library so I can then stream them to my AppleTV. I have a lot of experience doing this (a few hundred movies/tv shows already) but I've ran into a few problems with some newer DVDs.

I usually rip the movies with MacTheRipper to prevent my DVD drive from spinning the whole encode but I've been unable to rip them with it. Because of that I tried using HandBrake but both movies come up with dozens of videos that are near the length of the film making it impossible to encode the right one.

I've read on the HandBrake forums that if I was able to determine which video track was playing via VLC that I could just encode that track in HandBrake. However I'm unsure of how to do this. My guess was to just get info of the DVD while it's playing but the closest I could get was the Codec Details tab of the Video Info section. The information there only provides "streams X" where X is a number that I believe represents which track is playing.

Am I right with my assumption? If not can someone lead me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

2. jbuk macrumors regular

Try playing in the DVD in DVD Player.app, and then when you're in the main feature, select the 'Go' menu, then 'Title', and then make a note of the one which currently has a tick against it. After this, simply pick the corresponding title in the Handbrake main window.

3. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

I had this problem ripping WALL-E on my old PC. I used to use DVD Decrypter and it would display about 15 files to rip all the same length etc. I never was able to rip that movie. I will try to rip it using Handbrake later.