HandBrake vs ffmpeg vs iSquint/VisualHub?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Draft, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Draft macrumors 6502

In trying to back up my DVDs and various other media, I'm looking for the best option for encoding everything. I've used both HandBrake and iSquint, so I'm familiar with both. I prefer HandBrake, especially v0.9.3, because of the flexibility along with the availability of presets and the new ability to encode pretty much anything.

Because I've never tried using straight ffmpeg, I want to know how it compares. What media encoder do you use? Is there any reason to switch from HandBrake for encoding media? Is ffmpeg any faster? Does it produce better results? If you use iSquint/VisualHub, why is it a better alternative?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Draft

2. devburke Guest

I think Handbrake may use the same backbone as ffmpegx, but I could be wrong. I prefer HB though. As for iSquint/Visualhub, I used iSquint before HB gained universal input, and it was kinda out of date. It's really simple and straightforward, but ultimately I don't think it's a better choice. I'm HB all the way

3. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

ffmpegx has a somewhat messy install. Since 0.9.3, I prefer Handbrake. I found iSquint put more load on my system and the estimated time in handbrake was shorter. ffmpeg is included in handbrake but I don't know if there is a performance gain to ffmpegx.