Handbrake Vs Mac The Ripper?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gmisz88, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gmisz88 macrumors newbie

if i use hand brake or mac the ripper do i have to change the regional code? what is a regional code? which program is better???? which is easier to use and which would you pick???????

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

These are different types of applications.

Handbrake will rip AND compress at the same time. It converts the DVD to a file that knows nothing of region encoding.

MacTheRipper is just that, a ripper. It removes the CSS protection from the DVD and leaves you with a dump of the movie. It does remove the region coding (if it's safe to do so), but what you're left with is a DVD image that you'll probably want to do something else with (watch with DVD Player.app, compress using Handbrake or ffmpegX, etc).

Does that help?

3. gmisz88 thread starter macrumors newbie

still i little confused this is my first mac and i know you can only change the regoinal code 5 times.. i have no idea what a regional code is? im afraid of changing my codes to many times and ending up stuck?? so which program would you use? i have a ps3 so im thinking maybe handbrake is better but i have no idea

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Are you talking about changing the region code on the player or the DVD?

Once you've removed the region code from a DVD using MTR, it will play on any player in the world (as long as that player plays Region 0 DVDs).

Can you better explain what it is you're looking for? Do you want to back up DVDs so they're playable in a DVD player, or do you want to backup your DVDs to something like a .mp4 file that's playable on a computer/iPod?

5. gmisz88 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry about that im talking about the dvd player i have it set to regional code 1 and im afriad to change it beacuse all of my movies play on it...would i need to chane it for theses programs to work?

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

No.

Use both of them, I generally use Mac the Ripper to rip a bunch of DVDs and then set a queue up in Handbrake and leave them encoding overnight. Means I can then watch my DVDs in iTunes directly which makes things nice and easy :).

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Same here.

And Handbrake seems to crash less if you feed it already-ripped DVDs for some reason.

8. roker macrumors regular

roker

I started using MTR before compressing with Handbrake too-- it's a good idea because it frees up your DVD drive & I find it is a lot quiter because the comp is generally not reading the DVD for as longer period when you compress off the DVD image on the HDD. Also I think it is quicker this way on my 1.5 c/solo mini & I also find, as others, that Handbrake freezes/crashes less often this way.

9. mr666 macrumors member

Hello, gmisz88.
    You seem to need info about the two most popular Mac DVD "ripping" applications, about what is ripping, and about region codes. Search online for these terms, particularly in wikipedia. Here's a rough explanation:
    Region codes are related to geographic areas. They are suggested (not absolutely required by law) by the motion picture exhibitors. A movie house (cinema, theater, whatever) wants to sell tickets. The film industry has complex schedules for releasing movies in various countries. Never mind why. That means they want to protect the exhibitors from someone in Japan or Korea selling DVDs online or to tourists who will take the DVD back to the U.S. / Canada while the movie is still showing at film houses in the U.S. / Canada. Many people want the movie experience A.S.A.P. after it is released. They will not wait one or two months for the DVD. But many of those same people will buy the DVD if it is immediately available. Region codes limit this country swapping of DVDs. You can change the region code only four times (many people say five, but it is five codes starting with the first one, so four changes). Ways to overcome that? Yes, but for the geeks out there; not so easy.

Ripping is slang for extracting data from a commercial disc and saving it in some altered form. Technically, iTunes rips music data from commercial CDs and saves it in the form of track files (Lovelysong.mp3 or whatever). MacTheRipper (gone? no site found) can make a DVD image of a commercial DVD with a variety of changes. That leaves you with a disk image that can be played just like a DVD using Apple's DVD Player, VLC (ugh!), or any of a dozen other applications. If you burn that image to a blank DVD, you can play it in a "set top" DVD player as well. In fact, iDVD (part of the Apple iLife suite) can do many of the same changes and either save a disk image or burn a DVD without even saving an image. Handbrake can extract a video file from a DVD. That means you loose the menu and chapters (navigational aids) and end up with a single movie file, such as "The Graduate.MP4" or "The Graduate.AVI". You can burn that to a CD (if there is enough room) or to a DVD. It won't play automatically in a DVD application or in a set top box, but you can play it in QuickTime Player, Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, etc., if you have the proper codecs installed. Menu and chapters can be reconstructed with some time involved using iMovie and iDVD. You might even like to change the chapter positions or add different music to play when viewing the menu.

Some people think they need MacTheRipper even if they only need to make copies of DVDs. You can copy any CD or DVD on a modern Mac using Disk Utility. Search the Disk Utility Help for "copy dvd". Disadvantage: Disk Utility copies everything exactly, including the region code bit-- unless you know the secret to omitting that bit.

10. RyanTheGeneral macrumors regular

I personally use both of them, I havent discovered the power of both yet just recently starting to use them.. However with MacTheRipper, it put a hidden folder on your system that contains the list of movies that you have "ripped". If you would like to use it and dont want the list, dl and use killtheripper.

They both seem good but thats all I can help you with sorry.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

And this is a 3 year old resurrected thread
    The OP hasn't even logged in over the past 3 years

C'mon folks, there are a lot of recent threads on these issues (almost weekly) with current and up to date information

12. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

As MacDawg points out, there are more recent threads where the information given will be more up-to-date.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.