Handbrake Walkthru?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kirkbross, Feb 23, 2008.

1. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

I want to make a "best of" DVD of a TV show I have one DVD, but I'm not sure what settings to set Handbrake to for "Full DVD Quality"... then, how to take those ripped files of individual episodes and burn a DVD so it has a menu, etc.

Does anyone know of a walkthru thread or URL?

(I have no interest in ripping for iPod or other devices -- just specifically to rip episodes from various DVDs and burn them back to DVD at full-res).

2. lostless macrumors 6502

handbrake is not the app for you. Handbrake rips only in various mpeg 4 codecs, which will always result in less quality than the original. Its for ripping to those devices (ipod, xbox, apple tv, ect.) What you want is mac the ripper. You can strip out the individual .vob (mpeg 2 container that contains video and audio) files of episodes you want at full quality. The thing is that the only program to reburn individual .vob files to a dvd, that I know of is toast. Toast will let you add the files and then recreate a new menu.

3. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Cool - I just bought Toast 8 Titanium a couple days ago and I think I even have Mac The Ripper on my old G4...never used it though. Now I will. Thanks.

4. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

If you skip creating the menu and only extract the sound option you need, the VOB files will just autoplay the beginning of the movie (without all the menu silliness).

5. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

I'm a total video noob... what are VOB files?

Also, there are several modes in Mac The Ripper:

Full Disc extraction
    Title Set extraction
    Title - Chapter extraction
    ..a couple Aarcos options (which I guess is a Sony protected kind).

Anyway, I tried the "Title - Chapter" option and selected only the particular episode on the disc I wanted but the final file was only 39MB which makes me think it can't possibly be the episode. Which option do I want to use if I only want to rip one episode (and be able to drag that folder into Toast 8 along with other single episodes later).

6. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

I don't use MtR, so I can't help you there. Ripping a DVD will write a number of very large files with the VOB extension (and some much smaller IFO files), those exist in the VIDEO_TS directory of virtually every DVD sold today. If you rip just the main feature, it should be on the order of three to five 1 GB files with another smaller (<1 GB) file with the leftover data.

Doom9 dot net is pretty much a Windows-centric view of the topic but still there is a lot to be learned there. Its hard to link to (stupid frames design!) so hit the site, look for Guides, then look under DVD as well as ripping. The Windows tools are, well, for Windows, but they explain a lot about the DVD format itself. Maybe someone here knows a more Mac-centric site?

7. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

I ripped a whole DVD and there are indeed about 5-6 1GB files with the .vob extension.

Should I just drag those into toast and it will automatically make a menu, or do I need to include any of those IFO or BUP files to work?

I'll check out doom9-

8. lostless macrumors 6502

you just the .vob files. You only need to drag the first file from the stream. If you want to know which episode is which, just open the vob file in VLC. Toast will automatically make a menu. Just select your theme and rename the files to change them in the menu.

9. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad