Handbrake will not convert .dv or .avi files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gadgefan, Aug 31, 2009.

1. gadgefan macrumors newbie

Hi,

I need some help to convert .dv and .avi files to ipod touch compatible files using handbrake. When I try to choose either file type as the source file it just says 'no valid title found'.

The .dv file is a clip shot with my video camera and imported onto my mac using imovie, then saved as separate full quality file, in order to have a separate file that is not sitting in imovie.

The .avi file is a downloaded movie.

Both movies play fine in quicktime player and VLC player.

The Handbrake program does work as I have successfully converted a file ripped from a dvd using mactheripper.

I am surprised that I can't get it to work, as other threads on this forum recommends handbrake as the best software for video conversions for ipod, so any help will be gratefully received.

Thanks.

2. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

3. jackerin macrumors 6502a

4. gadgefan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the post and sorry for the late reply. Handbrake version 0.9.1

5. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I sort of guessed that much. Handbrake didn't get ability to encode from non-DVD sources until 0.9.2 iirc.

6. brendu macrumors 68020

i use isquint to convert my .avi files to ipod friendly .mp4 files

7. gadgefan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your help. I tried to download the newest version of handbrake but although the program downloaded, when I dragged it to my application folder and double clicked it to open, nothing happened. However I have downloaded Isquint and that has done the trick.

Cheers