Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SimonGarlick

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2009
Hi, I'm currently trying to back up my DVD using HandBrake, but when I try ripping a particular DVD it gets to about 50% through the rip, with about 12 minutes remaining, before skipping straight to the muxing stage and only giving me about 54 minutes of a 1 hour 45 minute feature.

Does anyone know why this may be happening, or better still a remedy?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Regards,
Simon

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
What movie is it? Some movies use things like RipGuard and bad sectors to try to prevent copying.

Try ripping the DVD to the hard drive first, making sure you have the correct title selected. Play the DVD in VLC or DVD Player.app, check which title is the movie file, and rip that title. Then run it through HandBrake.

SimonGarlick

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2009
Thanks for the reply, the movie is the Kingdom. Not sure if that will help or not...? When you say Rip the movie to the hard drive, how would I go about doing that? Am I not doing that by ripping the movie in the first place?

Thanks again,

Regards,
Simon

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Thanks for the reply, the movie is the Kingdom. Not sure if that will help or not...? When you say Rip the movie to the hard drive, how would I go about doing that? Am I not doing that by ripping the movie in the first place?

Thanks again,

Regards,
Simon

Use MacTheRipper to rip it then run it through handbrake.

By the way does Stavross the Purple Headed pant warrior ring any bells with you? ;)

SimonGarlick

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2009
I am, how about yourself? Really ought to have chosen a less conspicuous user name...

SimonGarlick

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2009
Ah, Luffy! How you doing mate? Those Stavros posters mysteriously disappeared... never did find out where they ended up...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.