Handbrake

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by freeway29, May 25, 2014.

1. freeway29 macrumors member

Is there a way to make handbrake rip the dvd into vob files so the can burn with popcorn roxio thanks:cool:

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

No there isn't. Don't know what can these days, now that Mac The Ripper no longer works.

3. mjt57 macrumors regular

mjt57

What's wrong with Mac The Ripper?

I don't use it, having had MacX DVD Ripper Pro been recommended when I moved to the Mac platform last year.

Does Handbrake rip DVDs or Blurays? If not, what does on the Mac platform?

I've not had to do any ripping yet, but when I go away soon on a holiday my wife wants to put some movies on the iPad.

4. viizi macrumors regular

Handbrake is perfect for what you need. It has presets saved to output to different devices. I found this article on bluray ripping

http://www.macworld.com/article/2042431/watch-and-rip-blu-ray-movies-on-your-mac.html

5. mic j macrumors 68030

Let's clear things up a bit. Handbrake only rips dvd's not BR's.

And the OP was asking about creating VOB files using Handbrake. It will not do that, but I think MTR can create an image file (containing VOB files) that Roxio Toast can mount.

6. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I believe that it does't work after Lion??

7. mic j macrumors 68030

According to the release notes, it's been updated for Mavericks.

8. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I'm surprised nobody mentioned makemkv. I've used it when Handbrake was baffled by the copy protection on recent DVDs. I have to waste 6 GB of disk space on the intermediate files but ripping those to m4v files in Handbrake takes less time than going directly from DVD would have taken, (if direct ripping from DVD would only work for those particular disks). :(

9. mic j macrumors 68030

I use MakeMKV/Handbrake and love it, however, not sure it is the best way to go for the OP's purposes of creating, basically, a disk image containing VOB file structure. I think this thread has drifted away from the OP's topic.

10. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I had the impression that once you have an MKV file there are a number of tools out there that can make pretty much whatever you want, including playable disks from it (though I'm not at all familiar with what that file structure would be for bluray).

11. mic j macrumors 68030

You are correct. However, there are also tools that can generate a VOB structured file without adding the intermediate step.