Handbrake

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by AnnaCody, Jan 10, 2016.

1. AnnaCody macrumors regular

AnnaCody

I was using HandBrake until I upgraded to El Capitan. Now it won't work. Is there something like it for EC?
    Thanks.

2. loekf macrumors 6502

loekf

HandBrake should work fine with El Capitain, for transcoding files. If you want to rip encrypted DVDs you are out of luck with 10.11. See the Handbrake forums.

3. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

4. AnnaCody thread starter macrumors regular

AnnaCody

Yes. Wanting to rip DVD's. If the new MacBooks had an optical drive I wouldn't need it. Thanks.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2016 ---
    Thanks!! On first read it looks very complicated. Hopefully I can figure it out. Using an external drive to watch DVD's is very annoying. When mine broke I went to Apple to buy a new MacBook Pro. Was very surprised they don't have the optical drive anymore. Replacing it would cost $300. I did find a new one on eBay recently and it's working wonderfully. But don't know how long it will last.

5. treekram, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016

treekram macrumors 6502a

Follow the instructions in the link Algus gave. It sounds like you upgraded from an OS where you could rip DVD's. In that case, you should be able to start at the section of the instructions which says:

"Mac users, specifically those running OS X El Capitan" ...

For me, after the upgrade, the libdvdcss.2.dylib was not in the QuarantineRoot directory, but in the usr/lib directory under QuarantineRoot.

I haven't ripped a DVD in ages so I didn't even know that functionality was broken. I haven't tried the instructions but what it says makes sense.

EDIT: Just tried it and it worked. But I did the file navigation in Terminal (easier for me).

6. beebarb macrumors 6502

beebarb

I'm honestly confused at times why people have problems with this.
    I had a feeling that /usr/lib was a folder for userspace system libraries, so I installed libdvdcss.2.dylib in /usr/local/lib manually, ignoring the *.pkg installer that seemed to in my mind be violating UNIX conventions (as the installer would put it in /usr/lib).

The 'local' folder seemed like it was meant for the 'local user', so it made sense to me to put the library in /usr/local/lib.

7. AnnaCody thread starter macrumors regular

AnnaCody

It sounds like you upgraded from an OS where you could rip DVD's. In that case, you should be able to start at the section of the instructions which says:

"Mac users, specifically those running OS X El Capitan" ...
    Yes, I did. Thanks for that tip. Good to know it works!! Thanks!