Handbrake

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mrmacosx, Sep 14, 2007.

1. mrmacosx macrumors member

Hey,

I recently pre-ordered a 16GB iPod touch and I was wondering if the Handbrake preset for the iPhone would work? Because the iPhone's preset output is 480x368 and I thought the iPod touch's native resolution was 480x320 (like the iPhone?) I don't want to screw everything up and have to redo everything again.

Thanks in advance,
    K

2. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

is there anything faster that handbrake, when i encode a movie using h264 it takes FOREVER, for a 2 hour movie it takes between 3.5-5 hours, though mpeg is MUCH faster.

3. mrmacosx thread starter macrumors member

Soo..

So... can I use iPhone preset, change Avg bitrate to 500, change Output to 480x320? Will it work? Oh, and can I change Codec to MPEG-4 Video/AAC audio?

4. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that h264 is a much higher compressed format than MPEG, therefor it would take longer to process.

I use VisualHub for all of my conversions, however all of my media is already ripped to my HD.

5. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

thats weird that so many people claim such long ripping times using handbrake. it takes me the equivalent time of the movie for it to do its thing. im running a macbook, c2d, 1gig ram.

in preparation i also am using the iphone setting but left the bitrate at the default but am interested to see how far i can lower it and not see any quality reduction in clarity and sound like the OP asked. anyone use it yet for the touch?

6. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

You need a faster CPU. I can encode a 2 hour movie in a little over 30 minutes on a 3.0ghz dual core.

7. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

The Intel Macs compress H264 via HandBrake a lot faster than even fast G5's. I get around 38 to 40 FPS myself encoding at 480 x 320.

I think the iPhone preset automatically scales the horizontal resolution to 480, which is fine for most movies. But for 1.3:1 aspect ratio, you then have to decrease the picture size to make it 416 x 320.

I start with the iPhone preset, and change bitrate to 500 kbps for video, 128 for audio, the picture looks very good and movies don't take up too much space.

Also, I have read that 2-pass isn't really necessary for H.264, it's not worth the double encoding time. If you use MPEG4 then 2-pass is recommended (turbo first pass will help make it faster.)

8. mrmacosx thread starter macrumors member

Are these settings correct?

Thanks to you all for your replies, here's the settings I used to convert Seinfeld to my HD:
    Format: MP4
    Codecs: MPEG4 Video/ AAC audio
    Avg bitrate: 500
    Output: 480x320

Do any of you know if it will work? Thanks.

9. jockmock macrumors regular

wrong! You shouldn't decrease the horizontal resolution. It's the vertical you'd want to reduce if any. That will crop of the black bars. Decreasing the horizontal resolution will give you significantly lower quality

10. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

They always want something better...:rolleyes: Be thankful for what you have...:p I'm currently encoding a 2ish hour movie.. its been going for 3hours and still has 18hours 2min to go.:mad::p:D

EDIT:
    Oh I'm using a PowerBook G4

11. jockmock macrumors regular

12. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Don't forget to set your energy saver setting to 'better performance' - it will in crease the numver of frames per second it converts. I did a lot of my encoding on a G4 PB, and it took about 7 hours per movie.

13. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

i tried using it, but it doesnt work on my computer, i just keep getting error messages.

14. boomer9000 macrumors newbie

Handbrake on Mac Mini 1.83Ghz/1GB RAM

I just tested a couple of times on my Intel Mac Mini with the same movie 4 times.

The movie is exactly 2hrs and encodes in 105/101/106/107min.
    Framerate is approx 37fps.
    - so it's quite accurate... I must say I have been both downloading and ripping at the same time for all 4 tests - but that was on purpose to see if that got me very long encoding times - which I don't think it did... below 120 mins for a 120 mins film is OK by me.

Settings:

FFMpeg (avi)
    2-pass encoding (no turbo-pass)
    Avg. bitrate 1500kbps
    - everything else is standard setting as "normal"

Attached Files:

15. jordanwesthoff macrumors newbie

Im running a MBP 2.8 GHz and it consistently pumps out close to 70 fps encoding to x264 formats