Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Is there a faster program to use besides handbrake.. On the average it take about 2hrs for me to put the movie on my hard-drive.. Is there any program out there that could do this faster?

James

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
It's fast for someone with 12 /32GB ram and dual quad-cores/ running in a beowulf cluster.

[meaning your computer is the limiting factor, not the program] ;)

but you could find a program to do less pass-throughs and compress it less. meaning the file will be large, but it will be done quick.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
It runs on the CPU power and thats a good time you have 2 hours I take 3 but I do other stuff.

tcmacintosh

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2008
reduce the quality of the dvd your ripping. chose the iphone/ipod touch format. i find its a good quality and it doesn't take so long

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
I have a MBP 2.4GHz and Handbrake is very fast. The Newest version of Handbrake while being run on Leopard is way faster than it used to.

I Rip my DVDs with MacTheRipper first, then Handbrake it from there.

Sometimes Movies take a few hours, but I sacrifice the time for quality. I just let it encode all night :)

p.luik

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
Faribault, MN
I wish my cpu was my bottleneck. I would need a faster dvd drive to get less than the 30 mins Im stuck at for a movie. Get a new computer.

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
May I suggest a faster computer.

If patient isn't your thing for quality...

I would think that a 2.4ghz duel core duo macbook pro would be fast enough to make it just alittle bit quicker.. I was looking for a program that could maybe do it in half the time. BUt if this is the average then I'm cool with it..

James

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.