Handbrake

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by i.shaun, Jun 26, 2008.

1. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I feel like an idiot for not being able to figure out what seems like a simple thing.

I have "The Universe" season 1 on DVD and would like to watch it in iTunes.

I tried using Handbrake, however It only does the first episode on the disc "Secrets Of the Sun"

I selected the entire disc, afterwards, I selected large VOB files which I believed to be the other episodes, and it still only does "Secrets Of the Sun"

How do I get the other episodes into an .M4V file?

[​IMG]

VTS_01_1.VOB should be "Secrets Of The Sun"
    VTS_01_2.VOB may be a part 2

There's 8 of them, and only 4 episodes, so I assume each one has 2 parts. I just don't know how to individually get each one -- as if I click on a vob file, it works on the first one again.

2. i.shaun thread starter macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

okay nevermind, I'm just stupid. There is a title selection thing on the top.

Disregard this thread -- unless you have the same problem, then just look where it says "title:" and select the title you wish to do.

3. nathanbusby macrumors newbie

nathanbusby

I have a mpeg movie downloaded from Limewire. I am able to watch this no problem but when I try and handbrake this Handbrake says no valid sources found.
    Any ideas?

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

Buy the movie.

5. nathanbusby macrumors newbie

nathanbusby

yes good reply.
    How about if the movie in question can't be bought?
    This is a copy of Oasis MTV unplugged. Never been released.
    So thinking outside of the box as our good old US cousins would say...

Any ideas?

Macbook pro 2GHZ 100GB 2GB RAM
    iMac 2.8GHZ 24" 4GB RAM 500GB
    80GB black iPod
    16GB iPhone

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It still sounds like a copyright violation. This site is probably not the best place for this question.

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

That doesn't make it OK to steal the movie by illegally downloading it.

8. nathanbusby macrumors newbie

nathanbusby

ok thanks for the advice on Hand brake. Who'd have known I would have got some copyright advice for free too!!

Its important to know though some things just don't fit inside this box we all mention. Not everything is cut and dry.
    Take for instance my Ipod. When I bought it I had music on CD and put all of them (about 650 of them)on the ipod. I had to load about 20GB at a time as I did not have the capacity on any of my computers to hold the 74GB of music I have ( all purchased legitimately).
    I had to use senuti or ipod copy to get the music from an old ipod to a new one. I now have the capacity on my macs to hold this music as well as other files.
    But interesting to note I had to use a 3rd party program to get around Apple's copyright laws.
    Because I got the video from Limewire does not always mean it is stolen. Think about that next time you lend a CD to someone thats it is also illegal

9. i.shaun thread starter macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

hand brake is designed to turn DVDs into movie files, if you already have a movie file, why are you trying to use handbrake?

If you want to convert it into ipod or something, use iSquint, it's free. If you don't mind paying around 25 USD, buy VisualHub. It is just like iSquint, but will convert to and from almost every format, even flash and DVD.

10. nathanbusby macrumors newbie

nathanbusby

thanks Shaun,
    a sensible reply at last.
    I am a bit confused I guess. I need to convert the MPEG files to the iPod M4A format.

If I try to simply drag the file from itunes to the ipod it just won't do this. iTunes is able to play the movie no problems which is a bit confusing I guess.

I need a programme to Convert the file to M4A from MPEG?

11. G-Baby macrumors newbie

try converting to mp4 in Isquint or visual hub

12. i.shaun thread starter macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Handbrake isn't what you require then, that is for turning your DVDs into ipod/iTunes/Apple TV format

Download iSquint. Drag files in, hit convert -- they will be converted, and can auto-add to iTunes. The program is efficient, and free. Not some trial version of something that only lets you do up to 5 Mb or some ****.

If you have around $25 USD, you can purchase VisualHub (iSquint has a button to buy it) -- It is essentially the same program, but this one is like a "pro" version with lots more options.