Handbrake?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by smlfri, Sep 2, 2008.

1. smlfri macrumors newbie

i am new to mac and i just got this dvd ripper called handbrake but it takes about 2 hours to put a 2 hour dvd on my computer is there any way to speed it up, it hardly uses and CPU

2. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

1. Buy a faster Mac :D
    2. Take a look at Turbo.264 (hardware video encoder) but it doesn't compatible with Handbrake and (use own software).

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I assume you mean "it hardly uses the CPU"?

I guess you have an 8 core Mac Pro then! O_O

Use MacTheRipper to first rip the DVD to your HD and then Handbrake to convert it.

4. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

You can adjust how it is compressing the DVD file. The bigger the KB you set for the end file, the longer it will take actually. So, if you click the Apple TV preset on the drawer panel, it will automatically make it an h.264 encoded .mp4 file at 2500 KByte/s...or a very large file. Great quality, but big, and long to encode.

Set it to encode in non-h.264 (x.264) .mp4 with about 1200 - 1400 KByte /S or KBit/s whatever it is. And the encode will go much faster, and still look pretty nice.

Brian

5. Corrado33 macrumors member

I agree, MacTheRipper is the way to go. I only use HandBrake when MacTheRipper doesn't work (which is hardly ever.) Plus if you're just trying to rip the dvds to watch them, then MacTheRipper will give you full quality in about 15-20 mins (it'll take about 7 gigs however.) Also if you're trying to Back up YOUR DVDs (cause ripping and burning others' is illegal) then the VIDEO_TS folder that MacTheRipper gives you will burn nicely.