Handbrake

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jak3, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Jak3 macrumors regular

(sorry if this is the wrong board...)

K, so I hear people saying they rip DVDs in under an hour, but so far, my attempt at ripping my copy of The Two Towers from DVD to my HDD is taking an extremely long time on handbrake... (like it's gonna take over 8 hours...I must be doing something wrong...)

what settings do you use/how can I fix this/is there a faster way?

Like part 1 took a little under 3 hours (and it's a little under a three hour film) I chose the film setting since that's what it is and I don't want a loss in quality of picture...part two is estimated at 6 hrs right now Xo

thanks in advance

2. TyloBedo macrumors member

i personally haven't used handbrake yet, however i would suggest doing a search for handbrake guides this way you know witch settings to do

http://www.macinstruct.com/node/109 this guide looks quit promosing

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Real-time ripping is about right with most dual-core machines.

My MacBook will rip using the "iPod HiRez" preset at around ~25 - 30 fps.

It's only when you can throw more cores at Handbrake that the speed really gets up, our 8-core Mac Pro rips the same settings at well over 100fps, I've seen up to 165fps. It's even faster on MPEG-4 rather than H.264 but I figure if the speed isn't too much of an issue I may as well use the nicer settings.

If you lower the resolution and use MPEG-4 you can definitely do it under an hour. My MacBook does an MPEG-4 rip at around 130fps.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

well you have a 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo which is probably why its taking 3 hours. it rips the DVD and then converts to whatever format you choose… im assuming youre using MPEG4 H.264 which uses a lot more processor power than ripping to AVI say.

also thats about how long my 2.0 GHz Core Duo MBP takes.

5. Jak3 thread starter macrumors regular

okay, so these are normal times then..phew...I thought I was really doing something wrong...

I haven't really ripped a lot before (once, for an iPod, I guess that's why it was considerably faster...

thanks