Handbrake

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by justan, Dec 28, 2008.

1. justan macrumors member

so i got a few dvd's for Christmas id like to put on my touch. My computer doesnt have a dvd drive. Can i just pop the dvd in the cd drive or do i need a dvd drive to use it?

2. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

3. justan thread starter macrumors member

really?? Damn....is there ANY way i can put these on my touch?

4. AngryApple macrumors 6502

You could buy them off iTunes if you are that desperate to have the movies on your iPod touch. It is a complete waste of money since you already own them, though.

5. justan thread starter macrumors member

im not desperate, i just think it would be nice to have some movies on my touch, use it to its full potential;)

I think maybe ima buy a nice laptop with my Christmas money...our comp is old and kinda slow lol. Thanks for the help though.

6. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

OP, if your computer is that old, even having a dvd drive would be pointless because the process to rip and convert the movie would take forever.why don't you get a nice new macbook/pro?:D they do this kind of stuff a lot quicker. the reason why your dvd won't work in your cd drive is because, they use dif. lasers to read.

7. meyer1131 macrumors regular

wywern the OP said that he wass going to buy a new laptop not a dvd drive :D

8. justan thread starter macrumors member

I mean its not that old. Its old enough to not be as fast as the newer ones but still runs smoothly. Its a Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Sp. 2. So its a 6 year old but still runs well. Im still thinking about getting a laptop though. Macbooks are a bit much for me though.

9. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

well, perhaps getting a refurb macbook from the apple store is a good idea. and perhaps, updating your XP to SP3 isn't a bad idea either. its a lot faster.

10. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

almost all new movies are copyright protected. so you simply cant run handbrake and be done. the movie has to be "...adjusted" first. something I dont think that can be openly discussed here.

I will say its very time consuming to roll your own dvd movies. up to an hour and a half (with a fast computer)to actually make the movie.

I wanted to point this out because getting a dvd player is only going to be part of it. you will also need VLC for the codecs to play dvd movies and there may be other issues I havent though of.

11. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

To copy dvd movies you own! You have to use DVD decrypter on a Windows PC to your local drive, Then use Handbrake to convert the IFO files to H264 MP4 format. Which can take over 2 hours per "Movie" then import them into Itunes.

Do not drag the file into Itunes as this will not allow you to rename the file or make changes to it.

This process takes days and even months to do. I have done over 100 DVD's and it took a few months to do.:eek:

And make real sure you back-up Itunes to DVD's in case your Itunes dies or you drive does.

12. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

My aluminum 2.0 macbook rips a dvd with handbrake in about 45 mins or so.