Handbreak Problems...Help :)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by virgomac, Dec 26, 2008.

1. virgomac macrumors member

I have a few questions that I'm having a problem with.

I've been using the new version of Handbreak and I've been having some problems with my picture quality.

Blacks are entirely washed out and to dark, shadows are a thing of the past, you just get DARK.

Colors in general are also rather off, sometimes things have a reddish tent or just off in some direction slightly in another color.

I'm been using the universal preset, as far as picture quality goes its great on anything under 20 inches, but past that things look quite fuzzy. Any tips or what preset I should use to make the image quality better other than a full uncompressed rip. I'd like to keep the file size to at least under 2 gigs.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hhmm very interesting. do you wanna take a picture of your handbrake settings screen and post it here? that will give us a little bit more info..

3. virgomac thread starter macrumors member

Picture settings from the bottom of handbreak or are you looking for something in the preferences itself?

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

sorry, please post picture settings, bitrate, audio settings etcetc.

5. virgomac thread starter macrumors member

Hope this is what you are meaning

Again, this is the default setting under the universal apple preset in the newer handbreak

[​IMG]

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hhhmm wow seems perfectly fine to me!! maybe try encode it again?

7. virgomac thread starter macrumors member

I've tried several different movies and the washed out blacks are always the same. Its like the movie has lost probably 60% of its shadows and just turned those area's completely black. Closest thing I could think to describe it is watching a movie on a really crappy DLP projector.

Other than the color problem what can i do to increase the movie clarity, use a higher fixed bit rate or a higher constant quality? I just want my output to be much better than it is, maybe a higher output size but i'm not sure how to do that.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

personally i would try using a fixed bitrate, or a higher constant quality. using a higher constant quality would make the file size much bigger....

i honestly dont know why its stuffing up!!

9. virgomac thread starter macrumors member

Since I'm trying to get an average file size of not over 2 gigs, maybe I'll try setting it to a target size and see how that does. Give me the best of both worlds maybe without worrying it will be to big. Hopefully that will help some, guess its off to the testing grounds again.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yea how annoying is testing!! takes forever! goodluck with it.