Handbreak Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stockcerts, Jan 11, 2008.

1. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I just downloaded Handbreak and thought I'd archive a few of my DVD's so I can watch them on my Ipod. The first archive worked well, but for some reason the next one only records about the first 20 seconds of my video. When I said record just chapter 2 that seemed to work, but the beginning of the movie isn't there. I'm sure it's user error. Any thoughts?

2. TheStu macrumors 65816

What is the second movie? Is it new? Is it from Sony?

If you answered yes to those last 2, then you need to run the movie through MacTheRipper first to strip the copy protection from the movie.

3. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

4. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

I downloaded Mactheripper to give it a try, but for some reason it's not working for me. The directions are poorly written. :eek:

I'll look for another option.

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Most movies will rip fine in Handbrake, but I've found I've needed to use MacTheRipper to strip out the protection for some DVDs.

I'm not sure what you find is complicated about it. Just put in the DVD and click on Go - it'll rip the whole DVD by default. With Mode you can select whether to rip just the main feature.

You get a VIDEO_TS directory on your HD. You can load this into HandBrake to convert to mp4 (I usually go for the iPod Hi-Rez preset, but push the resolution up as far as it can go. This is a good enough trade off that gives a decent display on my TV, Mac and on my iPhone - I don't put that much video on my iPhone, and with those settings I get about one hour video = 700MB, so I could put 10 hours video on it if I had no music on it).

The reason some rips don't work is that one way of attempting copy protection is for the manufacturer to engineer deliberate bad sectors on the DVD. I've come across one movie that not even MtR (either version 2.6.6 or version 3) was able to rip properly - Ratatouille. Starting from chapter 2, I was able to get about 1/3 of the movie, but then it failed. But I was able to rip from that point on, then used iMovie to splice the two rips together.