Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkramb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
What settings do you guys use when ripping DVDs to your hard drive to get top quality but still in a reasonable size. For example, I own seinfeld on DVD and want to put it on my hard drive. What settings should i set handbreak to so that it is compatible for appletv but without making it bigger than it needs to be. Obviously, seinfeld is an older show and the quality isnt exactly HD. when i click the appleTV selection before ripping with handbreak it automatically sets it to 2500 bit rate, is that making the file bigger than it needs to be? Is it taking up more space to have the same quality video??

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
What settings do you guys use when ripping DVDs to your hard drive to get top quality but still in a reasonable size. For example, I own seinfeld on DVD and want to put it on my hard drive. What settings should i set handbreak to so that it is compatible for appletv but without making it bigger than it needs to be. Obviously, seinfeld is an older show and the quality isnt exactly HD. when i click the appleTV selection before ripping with handbreak it automatically sets it to 2500 bit rate, is that making the file bigger than it needs to be? Is it taking up more space to have the same quality video??

check out the appletv board on this forum...plenty of HB info there.

RemarkabLee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007

There is an AppleTV preset for Handbrake.

You have to decide for yourself what the threshold is between personal acceptable quality and filesize by using the quality slider within Handbrake. It's entirely subjective.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.