Handbreak with Apple TV settings and Stereo audio??

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by downingp, Apr 17, 2008.

1. downingp macrumors 6502a

I ripped my movies with handbrake and then imported them into itunes as normal. I used the Apple TV preset within handbrake. I noticed when I checked "get info" for the movies that the audio was in low complexity and stereo. However, when i play the movies on my AppleTV my receiver shows dolby digital. Is this normal? Am I getting true dolby digital sound?

thanks.

2. dynaflash macrumors 68020

Yep, if your dolby digital light lights up on your receiver you are good to go.

3. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reassurance, I figured I was getting dolby digital. I just thought it was weird that the file shows the audio is in stereo.

4. dynaflash macrumors 68020

In Quicktime, if you go to "Movie Properties" you will see two audio tracks, one called Stereo and one called Surround. Click on the surround track then the audio tab at the bottom, it should show there are six channels in that surround track. Thats what the atv will use if it senses you are connected to a Dolby Digital Surround capable receiver. If your atv is only connected to a stereo capable device it uses the stereo track (which in the case of HB is a very nice sounding Dolby Pro Logic 2 mixdown).