Handheld internet device

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by smudged, Jun 27, 2008.

1. smudged macrumors member

Hello,

I need a device that has a good browser in it. It can be either a smartphone or an iPod touch. I will get the Touch if there's no smartphone with a browser comparable to mobile safari in my price range (up to $300)
    I would love to do more than just browsing the internet if it's posible.
    I know the iPhone is ideal but since the sales will be so strict and I will never sign up with AT&T.

Thank you.

2. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

In your price range, it seems the iPod Touch is a good way to go. It does more than surf the net, and has a bigger screen than the phones you'll find in that price window. It's contingent on wifi access, but has no contracts or monthly bills after purchase.

You should definitely go try one out at the store before purchasing, to make sure you appreciate the interface, and compare it to web enabled phones in your price range. I can't recommend any phones that don't have annoyingly tiny screens, (aside from iPhone and more expensive options). Good luck to you. :)

3. M4CBOOK macrumors regular

M4CBOOK

4. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

The browser on the touch is amazing, it may take a day or two to get used to, but once you know the basics, you are set to go, I would highly recommend the iPod touch in your situation.

5. smudged thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the answers. I really like the iPod touch but I would prefer to buy a smartphone. Will 1st gen iPhones drop price when the 3G comes out this July? The iPhone looks like the perfect gadget to get, but the 3g won't be as easy to get. Do you guys think I could get a used first gen iPhone for around $200-$300 or $300-$350 for a brand new one?

6. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

You might have a difficult time finding a brand new first generation iPhone for a fair price ($600+ maybe). May I ask, if you are not planning on unlocking it, why do you want the iPhone 3G over the first generation iPhone? There is not a huge difference between the two in contracts or prices.

7. smudged thread starter macrumors member

I don't want the 3g because AT&T's coverage is just awful, at least where I live. Right now prices are so high because there are no iPhones available. I'm hoping that when the 3g comes out the first gen drops price. Around how much are used iPhones going for?

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

A Nokia N810 is a good device for browsing the internet and it supports Skype, so you can make the occasional calls. It also supports music.

9. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

A quick ebay search shows iPhones going brand new for $800-$1300, and used ones going for $600-$900, I wouldn't expect prices to drop all that more noticeable though for another 6 months.

10. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

There is always a Blackberry or Windows Mobile

If AT&T is not so good where you live and you want a smartphone, you could always go the traditional route and get a blackberry or windows mobile device. The interface is nowhere near as good as the iPhone but it will get the job done for you and most providers offer them.

11. smudged thread starter macrumors member

Again thanks for the answers.

Maybe when the grey masses realize that there's a brand new iPhone for $200/$300, nobody will pay more than $200 for a first gen one. You know, that people dont even check the internet, they go straight into the Apple Store and the sales rep tells them there's no iPhone available. Once they're home, they go on eBay and bid $600 for an iPhone. But that's just a theory.

The Problem with Blackberry's and Windows Mobile is that most of the time the browser is really, really bad. And it's hard to find one with Wi-Fi.

I might check that Nokia out.

Anyone else?

12. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but I have a feeling that a lot of these people are in a similar situation that you are. And plus, Apple is going to be taking extreme measures to prevent people from actually unlocking it, so the demand for 1st generation models that are unlockable will be high.

13. smudged thread starter macrumors member

I know, I'm not getting my hopes up, it was just a thought.

Any other suggestion on a smartphone?