Handing down iPhone 6s.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GMAN48, Sep 18, 2016.

1. GMAN48 macrumors newbie

My wife is going to replace her iPhone 5 with my 6s. We are both on the same account with AT&T and I have all her data backed up to iTunes. Do I need to switch SIM cards? Do I just connect the 6s to iTunes and restore it from her backup?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

She needs to have her active SIM card in the device. The SIM card is how the carrier know which phone she is using.

3. Bsadle1 macrumors member

Bsadle1

Yes. All you have to do is restore from her last backup.

4. HarryWild, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016

HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

Do I need to switch SIM cards?
    Yes so she can keep her call info data which is stored on to the sims card. Foe example, the SIM card the person's phone number and not only enables communication between the phone and its carrier, but stores information such as phone numbers, security data and more. In recent years, carriers have begun using specialized SIM cards with so-called Secure Elements to store credit card credentials in order to facilitate mobile payments.

Do I just connect the 6s to iTunes and restore it from her backup?
    Yes!

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Information is not stored on the SIM card. It only identifies the phone to the carrier so it knows it is her phone with her number. Data and contacts have to be restored via iTunes or the cloud.

6. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

Her phone number is associated with the SIM card and the iTunes backup is the way to transfer all her data (except phone number). You'll need to do both.