Handle folder name like drive on desktop

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cosmokanga2, Jun 23, 2010.

1. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

On my desktop I have a folder that I would like to keep auto arranged but grouped with the drives. Currently I have to name it *Uploads* for it to stay on top but is there a way for OS X to handle it like a drive and group it with them so that I can remove the *'s from its name? I know it's minor but it's driving me crazy. :D

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

4. cosmokanga2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

Not many! It's just that I drag/drop files from the desktop all day and the Upload folders moves all over the screen. Anyway, thanks guys!

5. reubs macrumors 68000

Can you make the uploads folder into some kind of disk image? Wouldn't that work for your needs?

6. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

Are you saying you have the desktop's view options set to "Arrange by: Name" or something?

Why not simply turn off that option (i.e., set to "Arrange by: None") and then just put desktop items wherever you want them to be. [assuming you have Leopard or higher that is.]

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

... or set it to Snap to Grid for an automatically neater appearance.

But, I assume that the OP does not want to do this because of the desire to have new items "properly arranged" in the order of choice. (name, date...)

With only a few icons on the Desktop (which is a good idea BTW) it's not really that big of a pain is it?