Handled the new MB today...even better than I expected. Amazing.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by eye.surgeon, Oct 15, 2008.

1. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

I don't really know how to describe it but the new MB is just amazing...it feels so solid in the hand that instantly every other notebook I've owned feels creaky and flexy if that's a word. It looks gorgeous...it's the successor to the old pro 12 inch...just the right size in the hand, not too small, not too big.

My only beef is the screen is too glossy. Noticeably more than my wife's current ibook G4 14 inch.

I've ordered two...one for me and one for my wife. Mine is loaded with everything including SSD, my wife's is a basic 2.0 stock.

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

3. Aranince macrumors 65816

This is exactly why I'm willing to spend the extra doe on Apple's products. Very high quality, very nice. Get to use OS X, no extra crapware like the plastic PC laptops.

4. andyjam macrumors regular

Me too... I was planning on waiting till the almost certain power boosts and price cuts (the Australian price is ridiculous) within the next 6 months but after going into the Sydney Apple Store this afternoon, I simply could not help myself. I left half an hour carrying a shiny new 2.4GHz model and about $200 of new accesories (keyboardr mouse, adaptors)... Damn the Apple store people - they made me. Just put my 12"PB G4 that this replaces on eBay. Let's hope it sells for around $3000 AUD so I make a profit!!

5. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

i hope that you dont use firewire because if you havent noticed there is no firewire, even though there just nice except i wish even the stock model would have the illuminated keyboard :/ there expensive little buggers but solid machines and hoorah for graphics card :D

6. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

I'm sort of trying to resist playing with the $1599 Macbook, because I'm afraid it will make me regret paying $2499 for the Pro. I know, I know, the Pro has benefits, but the Macbook is pretty nice and small and that 9400M looks to have some decent gaming chops too.

7. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

The new MacBook is simply amazing. Pictures do not do it justice.

8. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

what!? why is nobody posting about this

9. tekmoe macrumors 68000

My last 5 notebooks have been PowerBooks and MacBook Pro's. I did buy a black MacBook but sold it within a month because I decided I really hate plastic. I never would have thought I would buy another MacBook until now.

This MacBook 2.4 is absolutely perfect for my needs. It now has a more advanced video card for not so intensive stuff such as simple photo editing and video editing. It just works perfect for my needs. It really does feel like a Mini MacBook Pro. I'm not sure why they did not just label it as a Pro.

I did consider the MacBook Pro 2.4 but ended up buying this to save myself the $400. Not a single regret!

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

LOL!

You *are* joking, right?

11. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

He's either joking or has been living under a rock and thus hasn't visited MacRumors over the last few days ;)

12. eye.surgeon thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't give a crap about firewire. USB is fast enough and every peripheral I have will work fine with USB. Besides I have a firewire port (covered with dust from non-use) on my desktop.

13. jade macrumors 6502

I wholeheartedly agree the pictures don't do the new macbook justice. You really need to see it in person to see how sturdy it is now. My ibook just looks like a clunker next to this macbook. :p

Anyway it is really well engineered. Hopefully i'll do a full review from the perspective a panther/windows upgrader.

14. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

;)

15. Milk*is*tasty macrumors member

Of course, as long as you're fine, we're all real happy.