Handling Time Machine on Vacation

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ruahrc, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

I have a newbish question about TM and going on vacation. I know that if you don't back up on TM for a long time it will do a complete re-image of the drive. How long does it need to be before doing this?

I will be going on vacation for about 2.5 weeks and taking my laptop with me because I will be shooting a lot of photos and will use the laptop to download to to keep my SD cards from getting full.

I'm just curious if I disable TM when I leave for vacation will I avoid this full image rebackup or is 2.5 weeks not enough to trigger it anyways? I'm trying to avoid the entire re-imaging if necessary because I use a Time Capsule to back up to and if it did a full backup it would waste a lot of disk space and also take forever on wireless. I'd need to know so I can plug it in to the TC via ethernet if it will do a full backup when I got back.

Ruahrc

2. John01021988 macrumors 6502

It does not re-image again everything. Time Machine will start backing up normally, it will only look for changes in the HD since last succesful backup and will save new changes into your external drive. So no worries here.

3. Ruahrc thread starter macrumors 65816