Handoff a bit touch and go

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by sejanus, Sep 9, 2014.

1. sejanus macrumors regular

Hi Guys

Not sure if anyone knows this but here goes.

Running 10.10 preview 2

Running GM IOS 8.

Handoff....well it sorta works. I can make calls from the contacts app and from facetime on my imac and it will send them via the phone - no probs.

But when people call me, it doesn't show up on the imac. Also apparently a icon is supposed to show on the dock on the mac when I do things on the phone in safari - nope.

Any ideas?

I have BT on, I've got the tick on to enable handoff in sys preferences. Both computers are on the same wifi network.

Also unrelated, how do you configure safari to let you click phone numbers? At moment it doesn't.

cheers

2. afsnyder macrumors 65816

They haven't finalized OS X Yosemite yet..

3. sejanus thread starter macrumors regular

4. hektor6tygr macrumors newbie

It's apparently working okay for people who have the developer preview! It's broken on the public beta:(

5. cjcb macrumors newbie

I have public beta 2, and iOS 8 beta 5, and I tested it today for the first time. I had to let my phone ring a few times before it showed up in my MBA

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Handoff would be sending and receiving files, webpage links etc. from an IOS compatible device to an OS X compatible device. That feature (at this point) is directly tied to particular Bluetooth cards found in MBA 2011 and newer.

Sending and receiving texts on various devices at once as mentioned by the OP is more Wifi related and not solely tied to the Bluetooth device(s).

7. sejanus thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah cool, I'm not complaining, I know it's beta :)

Making audio calls from facetime on the imac works beautifully via the iphone. But I don't get them showing up on the imac in the other direction.

I wish you could click phone numbers in safari - I imagine it's on their to-do list before public release.