Handoff / Continuity Range

ugadawg94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Has anyone figured out the max range that this works. For example I can take calls on my iPad when my phone is across the room. But I haven't tried to see how far apart I can get.

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I thought it worked over WiFi, not Bluetooth. If it's WiFi, then your range will be however far you can go on your connection...so potentially pretty far.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
At least with phone calls, gotta agree with powerstrokin. I keep bluetooth off and my iPhone and iPad both ring at home.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
I thought it worked over WiFi, not Bluetooth. If it's WiFi, then your range will be however far you can go on your connection...so potentially pretty far.
Same. Moreover, it's not specific to your wifi AP. If your home or business has multiple APs, as long as you are on the same subnet, it will work as far as your wifi goes

My Bluetooth is normally turned off intentionally

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Same. Moreover, it's not specific to your wifi AP. If your home or business has multiple APs, as long as you are on the same subnet, it will work as far as your wifi goes

My Bluetooth is normally turned off intentionally
Well that's pretty damn neat.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I noticed the iPad takes a while to ring
Like 2 rings on the iPhone ,then I hear the iPad

mattdeezy

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2011
I think it uses bluetooth LE (which i don't think you can turn off) to ensure you are near your your iPad or Mac then sends the signal over wifi. So the range is whatever range bluetooth LE works on.

ZippyZapp

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
I think it uses bluetooth LE (which i don't think you can turn off) to ensure you are near your your iPad or Mac then sends the signal over wifi. So the range is whatever range bluetooth LE works on.
Not for phone call handoffs. It uses wifi only. Bluetooth LE is part of Bluetooth 4.0 and the iPad 2 does not have this.

There is actually a video that shows the modes and which each uses, Bluetooth or wifi.

darkredcaffeine

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
Continuity (SMS and calls) works over WiFi.

The rest of Handoff (Safari, Mail etc.) works over Bluetooth and your devices need to be connected for this to work.

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Continuity (SMS and calls) works over WiFi.

The rest of Handoff (Safari, Mail etc.) works over Bluetooth and your devices need to be connected for this to work.
Can't speak for Mail but Safari does not need a Bluetooth connection between devices. At least, they don't need to be paired. Works fine between my iPhone and iPad and they've never been paired.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Does it ring on the device that you're presently using or on all of them? Seems like it could get annoying to have multiple devices ringing in a room.

darkredcaffeine

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
Can't speak for Mail but Safari does not need a Bluetooth connection between devices. At least, they don't need to be paired. Works fine between my iPhone and iPad and they've never been paired.
Turn Bluetooth off on one of the devices and see if it still works (I'm curious). I know that the devices don't have to be paired manually because the software has already done that and authenticated for you.

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Turn Bluetooth off on one of the devices and see if it still works (I'm curious). I know that the devices don't have to be paired manually because the software has already done that and authenticated for you.
I stand corrected. Bluetooth must be on for Safari handoff (so presumably Mail etc.) to work. Just tested by toggling BT on iPad multiple times. Gotta be on.

No biggie for me because I never turn BT off on either device.

darkredcaffeine

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
I stand corrected. Bluetooth must be on for Safari handoff (so presumably Mail etc.) to work. Just tested by toggling BT on iPad multiple times. Gotta be on.

No biggie for me because I never turn BT off on either device.
Good to know, I wasn't 100% sure :)

Kuroz

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2013
Does anyone get like weird handoff apps popping up thats not from their ipad? Whenever im at walmart or school their handoffs pop up and when i check why it just opens their app. Its really weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.