Handoff for Apple Music/iTunes.

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by andyp350, Jun 15, 2015.

1. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know if theres any chance or indication that hand off for the music app and iTunes will be a part of iOS9 and El Capitan? I really like the idea of handoff but realistically the number of times I need to switch device to finish an email or reading a web page is very limited. However i'd love to be able to be listening to an album or playlist on my macbook and then handoff to my phone so I can continue where I left off in my car, or when I go downstairs and hook up to the speakers in my kitchen.

2. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

Not sure, but Rdio is really good at having the "constant player". I really like that feature and it would be awesome if Apple does something similar.

3. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

It's not just handing off it needs but controlling playback and managing the queue from other devices too. Amazing feature of Spotify.

4. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

This is something I've always wanted. Being able to seamlessly hand off an album or radio station mid-song to my Apple TV when I get home would be awesome. I know I can AirPlay it, but it's not the same - I'd like to be able to fully transfer the feed back and forth.

5. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Maybe one of the surprises for the Fall release?

6. ajiuo macrumors 65816

I would like to see handoff come to Apple TV as well. It would be much better then AirPlay... And probably help battery life.

7. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

8. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I was really surprised when I tried to use this today and it wasn't enabled. Seems like something that obviously should be there.

9. Stupotpot macrumors 6502

Stupotpot

This would be amazing! Only today I popped out to the shop to get something and was listening to a great Apple Music playlist on iPhone. When I got in, I picked up my iPad (so not to drain my poor iOS9 battery too much!) and had to search for the same playlist but then it repeated all the songs I had already heard! It would be great to be able to hand off between devices...

10. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Completely agree, I've done rhis before too. Hope it'll be included in the next major release.

11. coifox macrumors newbie

coifox

Why is this not a feature?? This should have been part of the OS by default!! :p

12. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I don't know how this would be implemented, but it would also be nice to be able to control playback on one device from my others. For example, right now I'm sitting with my laptop in my lap, Airplaying AM to my Apple TV from my iPhone because that's the device I'd started listening to this morning. It would be nice if I could play/pause/skip etc from right here on my laptop. Idk, I guess a more tightly integrated Continuity system could somehow solve that, or maybe even just a Remote app for the Mac.

13. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Spotify does this, you can just select a device on your network which is also running spotify and then the in-app controls control the other device. So that's a model for how it could be work.

14. reptarwilleatu macrumors regular

reptarwilleatu

with the Proactive stuff that Apple is doing in iOS 9, it wouldn't surprise me if when we get a redesigned iTunes (aka standalone Music app on OS X) whatever your playing in iTunes, queue etc gets synced automatically via iCloud and then when say your walking out of your house to get in your car to go to work or whatever and it goes to give you the music or podcast you were listening to last, it will be what you had been playing in iTunes on your Mac.

I don't know, that just seems more logical to me especially when that way you don't need to be in proximity to your Mac like you normally do for Handoff. Not to mention that people who are using older Macs on the lastest OS that can't use Handoff like me will still be able to take advantage of that feature.

15. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

I just hope Handoff is made more stable. I've noticed that my iPad Air and rMBP no longer communicate on the latest iOS 9 beta.

16. hagar macrumors 6502a

While I agree it would be a nice feature, I never got Handoff to work reliably. And as iTunes is also a big pile of bugs, I'm afraid they're simply unable to make it work at the moment