Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

langscinema

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
So looks like a settings toggle has been added to iOS B3 but also removed from OSX D3.
Wasn't able to get them working on previous beta and was hoping like others this update would offer it but.......
Kinda assuming at this point this option will not work at all, correct?

TitsLegendary

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
It's not showing up on mine either. You're not alone...

That being said, I've got a late 2011 MBP that's not compatible with handoff.

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
So looks like a settings toggle has been added to iOS B3 but also removed from OSX D3.
Wasn't able to get them working on previous beta and was hoping like others this update would offer it but.......
Kinda assuming at this point this option will not work at all, correct?

Its under General in Sys Pref. There for me.

That said, i can't get it to work now where as it worked in b2

ajnozari

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2014
It is confirmed that any models that do NOT support handoff will have the option removed from the settings.

That being said, if you've updated your mac to have a bluetooth 4.0 it may show up, not sure if this is done via detecting the model or if it is based on whether or not the bluetooth module supports BT 4.0. That still needs to be determined.

Stynger

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2014
It is confirmed that any models that do NOT support handoff will have the option removed from the settings.

That being said, if you've updated your mac to have a bluetooth 4.0 it may show up, not sure if this is done via detecting the model or if it is based on whether or not the bluetooth module supports BT 4.0. That still needs to be determined.

I have a early 2011 MacBook Pro with a mid 2012 card upgraded in it.
The option has disappeared.

This did happen when a clean install was done after the upgrade. The option
wasn't there on install, but at some point an update came available and re-enabled the option. Though even enabled never functioned.

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR

The weird thing is that in DP2 under About this Mac it said that Continuity was available but never worked for me but now under DP3 it doesn't show the option in System Preferences or under About this Mac the field isn't even listed.

GTPprix

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013
LOL Came here to state the same even though if you search for handoff in preferences it will show it still being under general but its obviously not there. The odd thing is its also gone from my bluetooth device info the handoff compatible or whatever it said is gone. I have a mid 2011 MacBook air that I was under the impression was compatible.

rdinterman

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Florida
The mystery continues, I have a late 2011 MBA which has BT 4.0 on board. Was there on B2, but not B3. Must be different parameters than just BT 4.0 to work.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
Enable HandOff is not on my MacBook Pro 2011, but it was there in DP2...I was even thinking of upgrading my card to get it.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
As I was predicting, option is present in a 2008 MP upgraded with ac WiFi and BT 4.0.

So looks like both are needed for these new features

Wait, so you upgraded your internal chip and its fine? I might just upgrade my MBP to Bluetooth LE and see.

Stynger

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2014
Wait, so you upgraded your internal chip and its fine? I might just upgrade my MBP to Bluetooth LE and see.

You will need a card that supports both BTLE 4 and AC. The BTLE isn't enough to get full functionality.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
You can get everything but ac. The card from the mid 2012 supports and fits in the 2011, but doesn't support ac.

Oh my :O do you have any recommendations? I would really appreciate the support >< feel free to message me

Stynger

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2014
Oh my :O do you have any recommendations? I would really appreciate the support >< feel free to message me

As of right now, its still very early in this.

I do have Phone/SMS working.
Handoff is a no go, at the moment.

ProphetX

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2011
I have the toggle visible on my rmbp late 2013. It seems to be working perfectly as it did with the first 2 betas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.