Handoff totally broke after 8.1 update

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by dannys1, Oct 20, 2014.

1. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

Well, it was sketchy at best before and I initially couldn't get it to work, but after updating to 8.1 I see no Handoff icons on either rMBP or iPhone 6.

I've done every fix I tried before, toggling hand off on both devices, restarting both, repairing permissions, reseting networking settings, signing out of iCloud on both devices, turning messages on/off, turning FaceTime on/off.

Also, as I presume it sees it the same way, no instant hotspots appearing in wifi.

Coupled with multiple other bugs i've got with Yosemite (like notification centre settings resetting every time I reboot) I think this is some of the worst functional software work Apple has done, the last 2 months have been an utter nightmare of things that don't work.

I was going to updated my Handoff bug thread which shows how when you edit a file in Pages or Numbers and then click handoff on another device before its saved and synced he changes it takes MINUTES to transfer it over and open, rendering the feature useless....but now I can't even get the damn icons up anymore!!

At least phones calls and SMS work ok, those features are much more important and usable I guess.

2. Solver macrumors 6502a

Funny, the iOS 8.1 update fixed my handoff problem.

When both bluetooth screens are open and broadcasting, does the Mac see the iOS device and the iOS device see the Mac? (My setup sees both)
    Are either Paired or Connected? (Mine are not, and it works that way)

3. flashflooder macrumors regular

Handoff worked for me under 8.0.2 and Yosemite, and now with the update to 8.1 I cannot get it to work either way.

4. dannys1 thread starter macrumors 68020

dannys1

The Macbook will see the iPhone usually (although sometimes even that doesn't happen) the iPhone won't even show the Macbook though until I try to initiate pairing.

I've no idea - i'm considering a fresh install for Yosemite to be honest.

Still at least SMS forwarding and phone calls work well. Seems to be the only thing Apple has got consistently to work!

----------

I'm not the only one then.

took me ages to get it working under 8.0.2, then it would work, then it stopped, then it worked again, then sometimes I'd go out, come back and nothing, other times id flip open the Macbook and it was there straight away.

Its horrendously erratic and unreliably/buggy. I don't understand why its so hard to do consistently.

And I still want to test this editing a document in numbers and then passing it off to the Mac - I bet it still takes 4-5 minutes to achieve.

5. flashflooder macrumors regular

Actually, a restart of my MBA solved the issue. Handoff is back in action.

6. dannys1 thread starter macrumors 68020

dannys1

Whey, the 6th restart of my Macbook and its up and running again. So so touchy!

Now then, to try this editing an iWork file and then handing it off, I urge you to try the same...

7. dannys1 thread starter macrumors 68020

dannys1

8. jdag macrumors 6502a

There are many many posts about this, so I will submit the fix that worked for me in several threads in the hope that it helps people:

I was struggling yesterday, and was having very mixed results ranging from handoff not working at all to it working on my iPhone only. I found an article offering a suggested fix, and it worked for me.

It appears to me that the "missing link" is the FaceTime setup (this was the only article I found that referenced FaceTime settings).

In my case, I had to sign into FaceTime using my AppleID (which I believe was set in the past, possibly disconnected at some point). Anyhow, it does make sense that this would be a potential gap in Handoff functioning, and it corrected my issue immediately.

Good luck...this is clearly not an example of "it just works".

The full article can be found at: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/continuity-calling-handoff-not-working-ios-8-try-out-fix-1466213

Step-1: Open the Settings app on your device running iOS 8

Step-2: Click General

Step-3: Click Handoff & Suggested Apps

Step-4: Turn Handoff option Off and turn it On again

Step-5: Tap General at the top of return to the previous menu

Step-6: Tap Settings at the top of return to the previous menu

Step-7: Tap FaceTime

Step-8: Put the iPhone Cellular Calls option Off and then put it back On again

Step-9: Once the action is completed, reboot the iPhone or the iPad