Handoff works correctly on my very old mid-2009 MBP!

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by Jeff Chen, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Jeff Chen, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

Jeff Chen macrumors member

Jeff Chen

As I learned before, any MBP older than 2012 should have a LMP version that's too old and handoff would not work. Well it seems not the case for me.

My mid-2009 MBP with LMP version 0x4 simply worked with my iPhone 5. I'm able to pickup phone calls with the laptop with no problem, no hassle, no need to fiddle with the kext at all. Not sure if you guys noticed this too.

EDIT: And... SMS doesn't work correctly. Upon receiving new SMS on the iPhone, the laptop doesn't show any notification. However when you dismiss a call and reply by message from the laptop, it would work. Though it send an iMessage instead and I couldn't test if a pure SMS could be sent.

2. Jeff Chen thread starter macrumors member

Jeff Chen

EDIT 2: Seems some guys started having SMS handoff problems today. Let's wait and see if it starts working later...

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Handoff is the feature that you won't be able to take advantage of, because you don't have the right card. SMS related features (re: messaging and phone calls) haven't been specifically tied to the Bluetooth card like the handoff feature appears to be.

4. Jeff Chen thread starter macrumors member

Jeff Chen

In case you didn't read my post... making phone call via handoff WORKS. I'm trying to tell you guys about it.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The issue that many have been trying to get to work is handing off files between devices, which is directly tied to the Bluetooth card in the Apple device.

I read your OP just fine and replied on topic.